Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Live Gigs ever??

Options
  • 22-10-2006 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

So what were the greatest gigs ever? Gigs that went beyond the audience/entertainer convention and really broke down spiritual barriers, and left participants walking away with a feeling that something inside them changed.
    For example:
    The Last Waltz
    Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    The Grateful Dead Live at the Pyramids <just for the general insanity>
    The Clash at Trinity College back in the day
    John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk at Carnegie Hall

What great gigs do you wish you were present at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

U2's first of the two gigs at Slane in 2001(i think).

I was working at the concert. When the news came in that Bono's father had died, everyone didn't know where they stood in relation to the show going ahead or not. Then news arrived it was still going on.

The pictures that were projected of Bono and his Dad, and the emotion during the show was amazing. One of the best gigs I was at.

The concert the week after didn't have the same feel to it.

I'm a U2 fan so that is why I think of that concert. I know many people here hate U2 and would never pick that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

I think U2 are useless to be honest. Don't kill me. I don't like them in concert. I was at their last one and left after like 20 mins cause they were annoying me. Waste of a free ticket that was!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

radiohead at the point in dec '03 was incredible,
    robert plant at the olympia last december was like a religious experience for me, i would sacrifice a surprising amount to go back to 1975 and see zeppelin play,
    not a huge u2 fan but that slane gig was very good,

cant think of any more now, too many to pick from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Just missed The Clash at TCD in 77 apparently unbelievable, but saw them at the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in or around 79, fantastic. Also The Jam at the same venue, fantastic again. Genuinely unforgettable, Madness in the Hope and Anchor (a tiny pub basement) in Islington in the summer of that year. Er.....Eels without strings last year in Vicar Street, (desperately trying to think of something in the last 20 years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i just saw ryan adams last night in the olympia.
    I think its the best concert that i have ever been at, absolutely amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Have to agree about the U2 gig, the emotion was unreal, never have a crowd carried a band through a gig like they did that night

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Rabies wrote:
    U2's first of the two gigs at Slane in 2001(i think).

I was working at the concert. When the news came in that Bono's father had died, everyone didn't know where they stood in relation to the show going ahead or not. Then news arrived it was still going on.

The pictures that were projected of Bono and his Dad, and the emotion during the show was amazing. One of the best gigs I was at.

The concert the week after didn't have the same feel to it.

I'm a U2 fan so that is why I think of that concert. I know many people here hate U2 and would never pick that day.
    Couldn't agree more... was at the first Slane gig and don't think it will EVER be topped in my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Another vote for the U2 gig here.

The Waterboys at the Olympic Ballroom around 1986/87. Amazing music, intimate venue, good crowd...one of those 'I was there' moments.

Lynyrd Skynyrd in the Point a couple of years ago. Not the original band by a long chalk, but the original vibe was all there. Made a barn in Dublin's docks feel like a blues bar in Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

the prodigy in red square moscow with a snowboard ramp to the left hand side of the stage, i would have killed to have been at that gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

Would have killed to seen the velvet underground when they were unknown!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

So any time during their original incarnation. Have you heard The Quine Tapes box set? Three CDs of bootlegs, ****ing great. 45 minute Sister Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

When Muse played the showgrounds cork supporting ash in 2001 and blew them offstage, that was a great gig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

The Waterboys at the Olympic Ballroom around 1986/87. Amazing music, intimate venue, good crowd...one of those 'I was there' moments

I was there - OUTSIDE!! had only one ticket(mine!) couldn't get another one and sold mine and left. Major bummer!! Felt mean about considering going on my own....

Best gig was U.2 Croke Park 1985 amazing New Years Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday "How long must we sing this song....How long....." fading into the night, when we were all young (including the Band!!) amazing memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Prince @ First Avenue, Minneapolis 1983. Purple Rain and the Revolution were born.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Radiohead: in the Point 03, and Marley Park this year. Incredible.
    Bowie in the Point, superb night of music.
    Muse at the Trinity Ball in 98(?). Jawdropping performance, great show at ****** 04 too.
    Audioslave and Foo Fighters at ****** 05.
    That U2 Slane gig was pretty great alright.
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at last years Electric Picnic.
    Dresden Dolls earlier this year in TBMC.

But without question, as an audience member, my most memorable live music experience, yet to be bested is without question:
    Nine Inch Nails in La Zenith, Paris, just after the release of With Teeth.
    Sheer, undistilled, visceral brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

By far the BEST i've seen was MUSE. Saw them the other night...absolutely amazing, everything...it was a spectacle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭topher182

was also at muse the other night!! it was an amazing show indeed!! also some other greats for myself were

Blink 182
    jimmy eat world
    green day

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

1. Muse - Olympia
    2. Interpol - Olympia
    3. Sufjan Stevens - Olympia
    4. Arcade Fire - Electric Picnic
    5. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Slane 01.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i wasnt at the interpol gig in the olympia, was there in the village though two years prior...
    met the whole band afterwards too!
    The stone roses in feile 95 was another highlight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

We are Scientists at the village earlier this year. Absolutely electric!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Afro Celt Soundsystem - HQ in Dub a few years back.
    The Who at ****** 06
    Liam O Maonlai at the Millbank Theater in Rush - he played for, it must have been, 3.5 hours and made up the setlist after the first hour. Very small venue and he was just class!
    Paul Weller ******* 06
    James Brown @ the olympia a few weeks ago. Hope I'm that alive at 73!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

the best live gig i was at was the eagles back in june on the sunday night certinly a memrible night for me 3 hours of one of the greatest country rock bands ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Mine was the smashing pumpkins in the Olympia 99/2000??!? (someone might clear that up)

Followed by Maiden in the point a couple of years back...roll on December 20th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

QUEEN are
    surely the best live band in the world??? I can't believe no one has mentioned them. It is the one time I have hated the Irish; we disgraced Queen at their 1986 gig at Slane. It's an honour that even Queen+Paul Rodgers returned. Saw them in 2005 but they are crap compared to what Queen were. Freddie Mercury - what a showman. Fantastic singer - the best live frontman IMO.

R.I.P freddie

Ps also would have loved to seen U2 they are my second fav band ever wish I had the chance to see em live. So unfair that LOADS of people get free tickets to their gigs and arent even fans :(

Would have killed to see Johnny Cash.

One of the best live acts at the moment is Rodrigo y Gabriela. They talk to you as if ya know them - great atmosphere at their gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

QUEEN are
    surely the best live band in the world??? I can't believe no one has mentioned them. It is the one time I have hated the Irish; we disgraced Queen at their 1986 gig at Slane. It's an honour that even Queen+Paul Rodgers returned. Saw them in 2005 but they are crap compared to what Queen were. Freddie Mercury - what a showman. Fantastic singer - the best live frontman IMO.

R.I.P freddie

Ps also would have loved to seen U2 they are my second fav band ever wish I had the chance to see em live. So unfair that LOADS of people get free tickets to their gigs and arent even fans :(

Would have killed to see Johnny Cash.

One of the best live acts at the moment is Rodrigo y Gabriela. They talk to you as if ya know them - great atmosphere at their gigs.

I was a massive Queen fan growing up. Far too young to ever see them live though. Went to see Brian May in the point when I was 12 LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Also feeling the Rodrigo y Gabriela love.. saw them support David Gray last night.

They were stupendous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

has to be.....roger waters in cork, june 06.
    dark side of the moon tour. hasn't been topped yet and don't see that changing any time soon.

robert plant in the olympia comes a close second though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Fav - :D

The frames in support.. (They where good , but I was not ready for what was to follow !)

I had not listened to him before the gig, just seen one video on no disco ( RTE bring it Back ..with that babe of channel 6) .....,, He opened with Mojo Pin ,,,and from that moment on I was gone to another place...it still makes the hair on my neck stand up when I replay the gig in my mind. ...Have to say I did cry when I found out he died ...was to be one of the greats.

Others that come to Mind just now

REM - RDS -Green Tour
    The Cure - RDS - The Point
    Oasis - Tivoli Theatre ....just before first album.
    Suede - Tivoli Theatre.(Best venue before vicar street ...some great gigs in its early days)
    David Bowie - The point last tour 3 1/2 hours !
    Prince - every Irish Show
    Underworld ...Red Box
    Sigur Ros - Temple

Advertisement