Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many of the L drivers on this website drive unaccompanied

Options
  • 22-10-2006 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

How many of the Learner drivers on this website drive unaccompanied.

I am a learner driver and I always drive accompanied. Do many people follow this

rule. I believe that the penalty for breach of this rule should be strict. I

understand that there is a backlog in the driving test, but if you aren't a

competent driver (a qualified driver) then you should not drive unaccompanied

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

When I was on my provo I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I have my full licence for about 4-5 years now. Before that I was on my second provisional. Usually was driving unaccompanied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

For gods sake. I always drive on my own (1st prov) and its a fairly powerful car too..but driving with fully licensed driver in the car would just annoy and distract me, I hate ppl talking to me when Im driving so no.. Ive had enough lessons at this stage and was told by my instructor Im ready to do the test, haev read and know the rules of the road, theres no need for me to drive accompanied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

By the way I would be careful giving out any personal details or anything that might identify your car because gardai read these forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I always drove accompanied on my first provisional. Currently on my second and mostly drive unaccompanied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

That rule is crazy! There is no way they could police it logically. Any passenger in the car could say they're fully licensed as they won't necessarily be carrying their license on them just because they are in the car with a provisional licensed driver. Why should they? They could give the name of anyone they know with a license if asked to present it at a later stage. It will be a while before they can roll this stupid rule out and definitely not before the backlog of learners is cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lorax wrote:
    I always drive on my own (1st prov) and its a fairly powerful car too..

I thought you drove a 1.4 astra?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cullen said they'd be introducing a penalty point offence for it but he said he wouldn't introduce it until the backlog was cleared. Which we can probably read as never.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lorax wrote:
    For gods sake. I always drive on my own (1st prov) and its a fairly powerful car too..but driving with fully licensed driver in the car would just annoy and distract me, I hate ppl talking to me when Im driving so no.. Ive had enough lessons at this stage and was told by my instructor Im ready to do the test, haev read and know the rules of the road, theres no need for me to drive accompanied.
    In fairness, you're not driving long. You're not capable of deciding if you're able to drive safely. I'm not saying you're unable, but there's a lot of experience that you don't have. Thinking that you're well able and can handle anything on the roads (over-confidence) can get you into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i did a few times but with a waiting list of over a year its just impractical. my mother made sure i was confident driving before she let me drive me on my own.

Stark wrote:
    Cullen said they'd be introducing a penalty point offence for it but he said he wouldn't introduce it until the backlog was cleared. Which we can probably read as never.
    oh no, not at all. they hired 17 new testers :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Lorax wrote:
    By the way I would be careful giving out any personal details or anything that might identify your car because gardai read these forums.

Thats right Lorax and you're next!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Lorax wrote:

Way to go. Make up your own rules. :D
    lubie76 wrote:
    That rule is crazy! There is no way they could police it logically. Any passenger in the car could say they're fully licensed as they won't necessarily be carrying their license on them just because thsy are in the car with an unlicensed driver. Why should they? They could give the name of anyone they know with a license if asked to present it at a later stage. It will be a while before they can roll this stupid rule out and definitely not before the backlog of learners is cleared.

I could be wrong I thought you had to carry your licence while driving now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

awaiting random smart remarks of non-approval,
    from day 1, drove unaccompanied on a second provisional, still waiting on a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Just started driving recently enough - since around August - and I've had around 8 lessons. I haven't taken the car out an awful lot of times in recent times, but a few of them have been unaccompanied.
    Like Seamus was saying, I'm probably not in a position to judge whether I can drive safely yet. I'd like to think I am, but I haven't encountered a lot of things yet. Unfortunately, only practise is going to help me encounter more, and I can't really see someone sitting in the car with me everywhere I go (and I'm sick of paying for bloody lessons), so I probably will end up going out on my own after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I very rarely drive unaccompanied, and that's only if we're stuck. And usually then it's a short drive to collect someone who will from then accompany me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I got lessons for 6 months before I drove on my own with my 1st provisional. On my second I got drove on my own but not on the motorways. Past my test a few weeks ago so all legit now.

I got stopped twice in my whole life. On the same night. By the same squad car. The first time I was dropping a friend off and she was my accompanying driver. Cop let me go (was checking to see if I had been drinking). Second time got stopped different copper got out of the car when I was on my own and gave me loads. Kept saying he my license was fake (he reckoned I looked a lot older than the age in my license).

At the end of it he said he wasn’t in the business of giving tickets for L drivers. I don’t think he wanted the hassle of the paper work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Lorax wrote:

Annoy and distract you? In my humble opinion, being able to drive a car with a passenger without becoming annoyed and distracted would be a very important part of being fully and competantly able to drive. If the tester himself also qualified as one of those people who would annoy and distract you, then I suggest you may not be as ready for your test as your instructor suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Took 2 lessons then drove on my own unaccompanied, had driven motorbike for 4 yrs previously so knew rules of the road, got letter from job & got test date 3 mths later, passed it with 2 green ticks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I think we all, at some stage of our 1st Prov. Licence, drove unaccompanied, I know I did 15 years ago, perfect example is going to work, not many full licence holders are going to go with you to work, unless you collect a working colleague with a full licence very day.

Its strange to me how a 1st provisional licence holder must drive accompanied, but a 2nd provisional licence holder can drive unaccompanied.

Lorax:If you think you’re the best driver in the world, surely your ready for doing your driving test? Or at least apply for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

mloc123 wrote:
    I thought you drove a 1.4 astra?
    Yeah - powerful for a pussy on his 1st prov.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lorax wrote:
    This is crazy. You have been driving for four months. You can't really be this blind to reality - can you?
    So passengers annoy and distract you - why? Is it the advice they offer that annoys you?
    You appear arrogant and over confident and will (if you continue) end up putting you or someone else in hospital with this attitude.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    ...Its strange to me how a 1st provisional licence holder must drive accompanied, but a 2nd provisional licence holder can drive unaccompanied....

I reckon the assumption is someone is more experienced after a year of driving. Its a bad system. Personally I reckon L drivers should have more restrictions placed on them. That said its pointless without enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I am on my first provisional, I drive on my own all the time and also I drive on the motorway. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Its strange to me how a 1st provisional licence holder must drive accompanied, but a 2nd provisional licence holder can drive unaccompanied.

Because 2 years road experience is better then any 'lessons' an instructor gives you. Anyone who has ever done any 'lessons' should know that driving instructors teach you how to pass the (very very very flawed) exam, not how to drive. Don't get me wrong, they teach basics but If you can't drive after 2 years on the road your a hazzard.

I'm a full license holder but have been driving unaccompanied for 5 years before hand. No accidents, no points in fact no problems. Only get pulled every so often by Gardai who assume everyone with a modded car has stolen something or dealing hard drugs.
    Archeron wrote:
    Annoy and distract you? In my humble opinion, being able to drive a car with a passenger without becoming annoyed and distracted would be a very important part of being fully and competantly able to drive. If the tester himself also qualified as one of those people who would annoy and distract you, then I suggest you may not be as ready for your test as your instructor suggests.

I have a full license and I hate people talking to me. It can be distracting especially when your watching a vehicle that may stop suddenly and your getting quizzed about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

layke wrote:
    Because 2 years road experience is better then any 'lessons' an instructor gives you.

That's assuming the person on his 2nd provisional licence was been driving for 2 years, its a possibility that the person applied for his first licence but never actually drove a car for 2 years, could be off travelling the world.

The only person to judge that you are a competent driver is the driving test instructor.

Bottom line, if you’re driving on your own on your 1st provisional licence, at least apply for the test.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Many years ago I was on my second prov. licence. Never got around to doing the test.
    I then drove motor bikes for over 10 years, got a full licence for the bike.
    Bought a car again last spring and have had to get another prov. licence, I drive to work every day, alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Mc-BigE wrote:
    That's assuming the person on his 2nd provisional licence was been driving for 2 years, its a possibility that the person applied for his first licence but never actually drove a car for 2 years, could be off travelling the world.

The only person to judge that you are a competent driver is the driving test instructor.

Bottom line, if you’re driving on your own on your 1st provisional licence, at least apply for the test.

Point taken, however I have friends who passed their test very early. One did it in 6 weeks of driving. Imo he did not have the experience (and even he admits it) required as a full license holder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

kbannon wrote:
    This is crazy. You have been driving for four months. You can't really be this blind to reality - can you?
    So passengers annoy and distract you - why? Is it the advice they offer that annoys you?
    You appear arrogant and over confident and will (if you continue) end up putting you or someone else in hospital with this attitude.

...and failing the driving test. Ah, the arrogance of youth. The Monaghan crash was very likely caused by this type of attitude. The clock was stuck at 150. kph!

A prov licence shouldn't be used instead of a full licence. Its a failure of the system that your allowed to do so, and a blind eye is turned to it.

A passengers can be distracting. But then equally many aren't can can be useful as a 2nd pair of eyes especially around a city. Depends entirely on the people (driver and passenger).

Lots of people who pass the test are poor drivers, but at least they know enough to pass the test. Theres no way of knowing that with a Prov licence holder. Equally people need to be retested as you gain bad habits over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

..theres no need for me to drive accompanied

well apart from it being the law!

I agree though - its insane to expect L drivers to be able to find a fully licensed driver who is willing to accompany them on every journey they make - we all need to get to work and christ knows our public transport infrastructure is a crock of ****.

We need to replace this with a law which introduces the licencing of driving instructors and makes it mandatory to complete a certain number of hours training (say 50 - split between classroom and practical tuition) which should include driving in all types of conditions on all types of road.

The number of people dying on our roads is crazy - but hey its an election year and who's going to do anything that stops people getting killed when there are approx 400,000 voters on provisionals.

Advertisement