Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many of the L drivers on this website drive unaccompanied

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Premium is fine?

That's a pretty good trick...
    Myself, as a named driver on a relative's policy, loads their insurance by ~1000.
    A quote in my own name was somewhere around €1600....the company told me that at my age, with a full license that will fall to in and around 500 on the same car (TPFT on all counts)

A grand a year is one hell of a saving....I put my name down on the list after my second lesson for chiefly that reason...if I fail then what the hell, but if I don't I'm saving a packet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Wertz wrote:
    Premium is fine?

That's a pretty good trick...
    Myself, as a named driver on a relative's policy, loads their insurance by ~1000.
    A quote in my own name was somewhere around €1600....the company told me that at my age, with a full license that will fall to in and around 500 on the same car (TPFT on all counts)

A grand a year is one hell of a saving....I put my name down on the list after my second lesson for chiefly that reason...if I fail then what the hell, but if I don't I'm saving a packet
    my insurance on my parents car is 1000. the guy at axa told me that a full licence would make almost no difference, that it was my age that had it high.

i hope you're all happy. i just went to apply for my test. but before i submit it i'd like to know: they're saying something about a €38 charge. do they take that now or in a year? i have no job and can't really afford to be spending €38 on something i won't do for a year

before people point out that i can afford €1000 for insurance but not 38 for a driving test, i set aside the money for it when i had a job durig the summer

edit:before anyone points out that i can afford €1000 for insurance but not €38 for a driving test, i put the money for it aside when i had a job during the summer

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

before people point out that i can afford €1000 for insurance but not 38 for a driving test, i set aside the money for it when i had a job durig the summer
    You managed to save a grand but another €38 wasn't possible? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, there is a lot of anger towards the government here about the proposals. Just ask yourself why there are long waiting lists? There are a number of factors including a large percentage of no-shows, but the biggest setback is due to the unions.
    Over the years there have been critics (including myself) who criticise the system. Now that they are doing something to sort out the mess there is resentment?
    The NCTS started doing driver testing a few days ago and will hopefully make a large impression on the queue shortly. Now that it is in place the next step is to remove the farce where driver can drive alone supposedly whilst learning. It looks that driving is to be treated as a privilege not a right - they just need to convince every driver out there this simple reality. Hopefully once the queue is sorted, the government will consider driver testing every few years for all drivers.
    I personally have a huge disliking for Cullen. However, what he is doing is a good thing.

kbannon wrote:
    You managed to save a grand but another €38 wasn't possible? :rolleyes:
    i have more than €1000 but i want to save my very limited resources for the bare essentials. since in this country there's very little difference between a provisional and a full licence, especially at my age, that €38 can be better spent elsewhere. if i had to bring my mother everywhere i drove, it'd be a different story

Chances are that you will make your €38 (and more!) back off your insurance if you pass your test.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I rang the driving test people today. OK the landline number on their website is incorrect, so I had to ring the 1890. And hold for 20 minutes.
    "Your test will be some time in februaruy. Or march. Maybe april."
    Grrrrr!!!!

kbannon wrote:
    Chances are that you will make your €38 (and more!) back off your insurance if you pass your test.
    but that won't be for a year and by that time i'll be finished my degree and i'll have a job and the time to prepare for it. its win-win :)

but that won't be for a year and by that time i'll be finished my degree and i'll have a job and the time to prepare for it. its win-win :)
    I give up!
    The govt come under fire because they try and sort out the number of provo licence drivers out there and you won't do it because it interferes too much with your other things. If you are this apathetic about getting a valid licence then you souldn't be on the road!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MrPudding wrote:
    What are the other 300k doing?
    Self-Certifying.
    There is no legal obligation on them to do a test, ever. It's totally voluntary.

All you need to do to keep a provisional license it to apply for ONE test and keep rescheduling it.

The amount you save on insurance probably wouldn't pay for the lessons or time taken to do them and it's a load of hassle and it's not as if they are likely to be stopped for driving on a motorway alone, and even if they were it's not like they would be disqualifed unless there were other offenses as well.

As long as they have someone in the car with a full license (even someone untested like in the 1979 amnesty or from the time when there was no test) and arent' on a motorway they are totally legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You think when you get a job, you'll have more time? :D

Just apply for the bloody test. You shouldn't need more than 2 hours in total to prepare for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

S...The amount you save on insurance probably wouldn't pay for the lessons or time taken to do them ....

Even if there isn't there SHOULD be a massive difference. :mad:

seamus wrote:
    You think when you get a job, you'll have more time? :D

Just apply for the bloody test. You shouldn't need more than 2 hours in total to prepare for it.
    i have 37 hours a week of college and assignments and study to do on top of that, so when i get a job, i will have more time
    kbannon wrote:
    I give up!
    The govt come under fire because they try and sort out the number of provo licence drivers out there and you won't do it because it interferes too much with your other things. If you are this apathetic about getting a valid licence then you souldn't be on the road!
    i know i can drive. i don't need to pass a test to tell me this. the reason i'm so apathetic is that the government hasn't actually done anything to sort out the number of provos, other than suggest punishing them for the govts incompetance by limiting their speed. in this country, the only real difference between a provo licence and a full one is the colour. when that changes, i'll be more inclined to take the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I drive unaccompanied on my 2nd provisional which I am allowed to do. I did not drive unaccompanied for my first month of driving which was also my last month of my first provisional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I started driving a moth ago. I am on my first provisional licence. Driving alone already I consider myself safe enough and never speed but can't be sure. Didn't apply for the test. Might never to be honest. What is the deal with L plate drivers not allowed on the motorways Motorways are easier to drive on than through ****ing Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

NADA wrote:
    Motorways are easier to drive on than through ****ing Drogheda.

It's for the other drivers' safety, not your safety ;)

The theory is that by banning L-plate drivers, you make the motorways more predictable to drive on, therefore drivers can relax even more while cruising along at their 120km/hr. Doesn't work that way in practice unfortunately. (Although motorway driving is still the most relaxing driving there is, even with the muppets).

Commander_Vines, just apply for your taste ya lazy bollix. You can't go moaning about the government and it's unwillingness to act, when you're too lazy to even put yourself in the queue for a test.

As for difference between a full licence and a provisional licence, a full licence will get you cheaper insurance and you'll be able to hire cars with a full licence which is handy when you go abroad. Plus, a full licence just feels nice to hold, nothing like the colour pink to make you feel like a real man ;)

All you need to do to keep a provisional license it to apply for ONE test and keep rescheduling it.
    I thought you could reschedult three times before its cancelled but Im possibly wrong.
    i have 37 hours a week of college and assignments and study to do on top of that, so when i get a job, i will have more time
    My heart bleeds for you! How do you manage to cope with such a hectic schedule? You have enough time to chat on boards!!!
    i know i can drive. i don't need to pass a test to tell me this. the reason i'm so apathetic is that the government hasn't actually done anything to sort out the number of provos, other than suggest punishing them for the govts incompetance by limiting their speed. in this country, the only real difference between a provo licence and a full one is the colour. when that changes, i'll be more inclined to take the test
    Just wait until you leave the comfort of college and you are out in the real world looking for a job and you have to become accountable for your actions!
    What happens if you need a full licence for this job you plan on securing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

NADA wrote:
    I started driving a moth ago. I am on my first provisional licence. Driving alone already I consider myself safe enough and never speed but can't be sure. Didn't apply for the test. Might never to be honest. What is the deal with L plate drivers not allowed on the motorways Motorways are easier to drive on than through ****ing Drogheda.

Im in shock:eek: First you are only driving a month and aleady you have decided that you are confident to drive alone on the motorway and you are not even sure what speed you do. :confused:

Whats with the attitude of not applying for the test. Are you afraid to fail it since you are such a confident driver by driving for a month. ]

So if motorways are easier for you to drive on id hate to meet you on a regional or national road. I wonder what the big blue and white sign is at the begining of the motorway stating the rules and regulations of driving on the motorway (one being NO L DRIVERS). I wonder why???? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

kbannon wrote:
    I thought you could reschedult three times before its cancelled but Im possibly wrong.

You can reschedule it twice (so three scheduled tests) before you lose your payment and have to re-apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

NADA wrote:

If you are around my way, can you let me know so I CAN KEEP THE F**K OUT OF YOUR WAY?????????????????????????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lemming wrote:
    You can reschedule it twice (so three scheduled tests) before you lose your payment and have to re-apply.
    /my bad I thought you could keep redoing it.
    so it would cost about a tenner a year to keep a provisional for life, not much for someone who is already paying the slightly higher insurance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

sandyg wrote:
    Im in shock:eek: First you are only driving a month and aleady you have decided that you are confident to drive alone on the motorway and you are not even sure what speed you do. :confused:

Whats with the attitude of not applying for the test. Are you afraid to fail it since you are such a confident driver by driving for a month. ]

So if motorways are easier for you to drive on id hate to meet you on a regional or national road. I wonder what the big blue and white sign is at the begining of the motorway stating the rules and regulations of driving on the motorway (one being NO L DRIVERS). I wonder why???? :confused:

No. I don't speed. What I meant was I think I drive safe but I can't really be the judge of that so I am not sure.

NADA wrote:
    http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/practicaldrivingtest/carfaqs.asp
    5. How many lessons must I have before I can sit my practical test?

There is no set number of driving lessons you must have before sitting your practical test. However, those who pass their driving test have had, on average, about 45 hours of professional training, combined with 22 hours of private practice. Candidates who combine professional instruction with private practice are also more successful on the test.

7. What are provisional licence conditions?

As a provisional licence holder you are restricted to a maximum speed limit of 45 mph and you must display L-plates on the front and rear of your vehicle. You must have a qualified driver with you who is at least 21 years of age and who has held a full licence in that category for at least three years. You are also not allowed to drive on a motorway.

11. Who Can Teach Me to Drive a Car?

Any accompanying driver must

* have held a full EC/EEA driving licence for at least three years for the category of vehicle being driven
    * be at least 21 years of age.
    * Before someone can charge you for lesson they must successfully complete the qualifying exams and be registered on the approved driving instructor register.

The car you intend to use must be
    * fitted with an interior rear-view mirror for the examiner (not the vanity mirror)
    Note after you pass your test up north, for a further year you MUST display R plates and you are limited to 45mph (~70kph) and you can't use motorways.

Odd thing is that not so long ago they had much better roads than we did and the average age of cars down here was over 8 years old before the scrappage. We get better roads and better cars, and we still have TWICE THE DEATH RATE as the UK.

If a dangerous substance was banned in every other developed country you'd want it banned here too. Up North they will justify learners for around 70 hours on the road under resonable supervision. BBC website reckons that you should be able to learn to drive in about 30 hours over a month. In Italy you can go on a course - three weeks IIRC and get your license that way.

Advertisement