Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Garda Auction

• 23-10-2006 9:13am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know when the next Garda bike auction will be held (presumably it will be in Kevin St.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

about 6 months time, its only on twice a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dafridgea

This sounds interesting, does everything go cheap, do they do the same with cars.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If the next one is in 6 months, was there one on recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes, the last one was 12 October. You _can_ get a bargain but as with cars (although it's not as complicated with a bike) you have to know what you are looking for and make sure that you look over any bike _before_ you bid on it. As with any auction along with the bargains there can be an element of auction fever among people inexperienced with auctions and so some bikes can go for well over what they are worth. (Mind you the last bike I bought there was 1993!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ralphh

Any updates on this? Has a date been set yet?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The next one's on the 29th. See here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's for chairty so don't expect any bargains. 8 year old bikes going for 200 euros and all bikes starting from 50 euros and up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

just to bring an old thread back to life,does anybody know when the next garda auction is whether it be for bikes or anything else?i always seem to just miss them and would be interested in viewing what they have on offer,garda.ie seems to only mention old auctions in the past:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

There was one in ashbourne on the 20th. Not sure if they hold them in Kevin St anymore.
    http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=569

Disappointing, I was hoping to pick up some pieces of crap for parts.

• Advertisement

:mad:cant believe i missed it again by a couple of days will add merlincarauctions to my favorites,seems like a promising link for info regarding upcoming garda auctions,thanks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

I think the cop bike sale is on once a month now, not twice a year.
    I remember someone telling me that when they contracted it out to Merlin.

I'd check back that site again next month.

(If you get an old Garda car in an auction, does it come with the siren and markings? Oh man, the fun you'd have with that...)

flickerx wrote: »

(If you get an old Garda car in an auction, does it come with the siren and markings? Oh man, the fun you'd have with that...)
    :Dthat would be great but unfortunately they take out all the fun stuff and just leave you with a well used and abused car with no nct and a hell of alot of miles on it my mate has an 05 mondeo ex squad car with 100000 miles( or maybe km's hmmmm not sure) on it got it for 7k i was tempted to buy it too at one stage but i wouldnt trust a diesel with that many miles yet alone a 2 litre petrol ex cop car, you can still make out where the garda stickers and roof siren was on it:) heres an ex cop car on carzone http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/2.0-LX/736722/

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭noelo

Just reviving this age old thread "again":D Does anyone know when the next dublin garda auction is?:rolleyes: 2010,or has it went and gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

noelo wrote: »
    Just reviving this age old thread "again":D Does anyone know when the next dublin garda auction is?:rolleyes: 2010,or has it went and gone.

The "sale" is now orgainised by Merlin Car Auctions.

I assume it's still the same old rubbish at overinflated prices.

http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/dynamic.php?lang=&id_menu=143

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/bicycle

Up on the 11th

Not sure about quality / price - just an FYI

Avoid like the plague.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why do you say that we should avoid?
    (genuinely curious)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

kbannon wrote: »
    Why do you say that we should avoid?
    (genuinely curious)

From past experience lots of really sh*te bikes there, and any that are in reasonably good tend to go for well over the odds as bidders get carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭noelo

RobFowl wrote: »
    From past experience lots of really sh*te bikes there, and any that are in reasonably good tend to go for well over the odds as bidders get carried away.
    You are right and i would say the gaurds get the good stuff and auction the rest off the ****, but remember the old saying "one mans rubish is another mans gold:)"

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »

Even the junk gets overbidded. The people who go to them think they're getting a bargain but seem to have no idea of the value of a bike, apart from it "looks nice".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

yeah - I went to this when I first came to Dublin as lots of people told me how great it was (none of them cyclists..) and complete junkers were going for upwards of 200euro (and I mean total rust buckets..); This was a few years back, maybe its changed since. would be interested to know - also whats the legality of this - if I went and seen my own previously stolen bike there, would I get it back What if I seen someone on it after they had bought it from a 'guarda' auction?

Advertisement