Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Grand Prix

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im heading in on the Friday and Saturday anyway, maybe the Sunday as well depending on who is in it.

Great win tonight for the Irish lad McCracken. Its great to see Irish lads doing well although I have to admit that it was a truely awful standard of play, one of the worst, if not the worst, televised matches I have seen. Walshe has very very bad and McCracken was far too inconsistent. He needs to calm himself down more insteadof just chucking the darts. He is a bit crazy as well!

Disappointed to see Part go out so early but fair play to Sams. Part won the first four legs but he was never scoring welland Sams upped his game to knock him out. Painter was the next shock of the night as Callaby knocked him out. To be fair to Callaby he played some great darts and deserved the wn. Painter was very disappointing.

The Lloyd V Anderson match was superb. Brilliant darts from both playersand yet again Lloyd gets knocked out in the first round of a televised match.The standard was fantastic and I was disappointed that it was only a first round match as it was over so quickly. Bob now plays McCracken in the next round and I can see Anderson giving him a real hammering.

The Manley Mason match ws a real disappointed because, as we have seen so mny times before, Mason just failed to deliver. He just could not hit the double to start and yet again he got annoyed with himself and the game was onl going to go on way. Manley played some good stuff but it was far too easy.

Wayne Mardle looked in good form in his wi over Dennis Ovens. He hit his doubles well and scored well. Mardles half of the draw is looking very winnable for him with Manley the only real big name left in after tonight. Mardle cold quite easily make the final.

Roland Scholten beat Dave Askew 2-0 in the nights final match.

Its great to have live Darts back on the tv again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Kingp35 wrote:
    :)
    SkyBet World Grand Prix
    First Round - Monday 23 October
    Lionel Sams 2-1 John Part
    Andy Callaby 2-0 Kevin Painter
    Terry Jenkins 2-1 Andy Jenkins
    Anto McCracken 2-1 Mark Walsh
    Bob Anderson 2-1 Colin Lloyd
    Peter Manley 2-1 Chris Mason
    Wayne Mardle 2-0 Denis Ovens
    Roland Scholten 2-0 Dave Askew

Few big shocks last night alright Bob Anderson rolled back the years in his win over Lloyd. Thought McCracken was very OTT alright with his antics onstage he now meets Bob in the next round. Gareth Grey who plays tonight is the best of the Irish players hopfuly he will keep his cool tonight and play what we know he can play and not be at the same antics McCracken was at.

Tuesday October 24
    6.00pm Dennis Priestley v Geoffrey Matthews
    6.40pm Mark Dudbridge v Steve Beaton
    7.20pm Alan Warriner-Little v Raymond van Barneveld
    8.00pm Gareth Gray v Andy Smith
    8.40pm Phil Taylor v Wes Newton
    9.20pm Adrian Lewis v Barrie Bates
    10.00pm Ronnie Baxter v Alan Green
    10.40pm Paul Watton v James Wade

Kingp35 wrote:
    :)
    SkyBet World Grand Prix
    First Round - Monday 23 October
    Lionel Sams 2-1 John Part
    Andy Callaby 2-0 Kevin Painter
    Terry Jenkins 2-1 Andy Jenkins
    Anto McCracken 2-1 Mark Walsh
    Bob Anderson 2-1 Colin Lloyd
    Peter Manley 2-1 Chris Mason
    Wayne Mardle 2-0 Denis Ovens
    Roland Scholten 2-0 Dave Askew

Few big shocks last night alright Bob Anderson rolled back the years in his win over Lloyd. Thought McCracken was very OTT alright with his antics onstage he now meets Bob in the next round. Gareth Grey who plays tonight is the best of the Irish players hopfuly he will keep his cool tonight and play what we know he can play and not be at the same antics McCracken was at.

Tuesday October 24
    6.00pm Dennis Priestley v Geoffrey Matthews
    6.40pm Mark Dudbridge v Steve Beaton
    7.20pm Alan Warriner-Little v Raymond van Barneveld
    8.00pm Gareth Gray v Andy Smith
    8.40pm Phil Taylor v Wes Newton
    9.20pm Adrian Lewis v Barrie Bates
    10.00pm Ronnie Baxter v Alan Green
    10.40pm Paul Watton v James Wade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

hi lads,

heading out after work on Friday from city centre - i reckon the best way is luas to Red Cow and taxi down. Any ideas what time i'd need to be there to get a good seat? New to the game, and first time going to see it live?
    C'mon Mardle!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭leuler

I am glad to see that other boarders were not impressed with McCracken's antics last night. I couldn't believe it, it was so unprofessional. Washe is going through a really bad time with his darts, he kept his head but just couldn't get the darts he needed.
    I was trying to get the other half interested in the darts, if she has an interest then I will be able to watch it this week. She really loves the snooker and would like this if she watched a good match and got into it.
    Unfortunately I tried to get her interest going about this Irish lad, who I didn't know but was from Rathcoole and with Walse going through a bad patch would have a good chance of going through. She was shocked and disgusted by McCracken's behaviour. The look in his eyes and his body language was just so aggressive and not sports aggression, it was horrible.

I hope it was just nerves and that he can calm down for Wednesday. I like seeing the Irish lads doing well, but not like this. If he is like that against Anderson, he won't last very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

We Cancelled our league match tonight to go to see G Grey ,hope he does well ,fair play to Anto last night but to honest he looked like he had a few too many pints before the game ,he can play a lot better than that .
    I can't see him winning on wed after the form Anderson showed last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Macker wrote:
    fair play to Anto last night but to honest he looked like he had a few too many pints before the game ,he can play a lot better than that .

This was probably the lowest standard televised match ive ever watched. The pair of them were awful. Walsh a little bit more awful.
    I think McCracken was just trying to cultivate a bit of a persona with the giving it all this and that because apparently a contract was looming if he was to win through last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Yeah I agree with most about McCracken he looked like a right nutjob.......but fair play he won.

Was really disapointed with Chris Mason, he knows himself he has the tools to be very good but I just wish he would get off his own case............also didn't like his attitude when Manley turned to shake his hand and Chris turned his back to put his darts away - whinning to himself, Manley had to tip him on the shoulder to get a handshake.

Reckon Gareth Gray has the best chance of qualifying out of tonights lineup for the irish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Disappointing night for the IRish lads tonight. Priestley was just too good for Matthews who seemed to really suffer with the nerves of playing on TV. He never got going and I think he knows that he could have played alot better. Priestley has had a brilliant year and has got the most ranking points of all the players so far this year. He is a real contender for the title bt is in a tough half of the draw and will play Lewis in the next round after Lewis beat Barrie Bates. It was a high quality match and Lewis played very well once he managed to start a leg but had a little trouble starting. I think he had somehing like 6 180's which is some standard.

The next Irish lad u was Gareth Gray. I had heard good things about him and I thought he had a real chance against Smith but it just didnt really happen for him. You could see that Gray was a good player but he was just slightly off all the time and SMith punished him. I was very disappointed for the lad. The final Irish player was Paul Watton but he ws always going to be up against it as he wa splaying the inform Wade who many feel has a great chance of going all the way. Watton has a very strange method of almost dancing on the oche for 20 seconds before getting his feet right to throw. I dont know if is good for him or not but he put in a credible performance losing 0-2 in sets bit he put up a battle in the last set losing 2-3. Wade scored well but hd trouble starting off.

No surprises in the other matches as really as both Taylot and Barney came through even though they were both pretty poor. Steve Beaton won through against Dudbridge who just cant seem to play well on the TV anymore. Ronnie Baxter also came safely through as he put in a good performance against qualifer Green.

So disappointing for the Irsh lads tonight but hopefully McCracken can lay off the booze before tomorrows game and can play better and keep Irish hopes alive.

SkyBet World Grand Prix
    First Round - Tuesday 24 October

Dennis Priestley 2 Geoffrey Matthews 0
    Mark Dudbridge 0 Steve Beaton 2
    Alan Warriner-Little 1 Raymond van Barneveld 2
    Gareth Gray 0 Andy Smith 2
    Phil Taylor 2 Wes Newton 0
    Adrian Lewis 2 Barrie Bates 0
    Ronnie Baxter 2 Alan Green 0
    Paul Watton 0 James Wade 2

Round Two
    Wednesday October 25

6.00pm Mardle v Smith
    7.30pm Callaby v T Jenkins
    8.45pm Anderson v McCracken
    10.00pm Manley v Sams

Yeah was dissipointed for Gareth but he played a lot better than McCracken and has a future in the game was hoping to get out but we had a darts league match last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

Any tickets left for this on fri/sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

No but to be honest ,after about 3 matches last night the bouncers stopped looking for tickets from those who went out for a smoke ,hang around outside and just strole in when the bouncers are distracted

willis wrote:

Tickets were available in the hotel last year mate so I reckon its worth your while heading in because you will more than likely pick up a ticket. From what I could see on the telly, the last few nights havent been sold out but you will get all the English fans coming over for the weekend. I already have my tickets for Friday and Saturday so im happy.

Tonights results were as follows:

Wayne Mardle 0-3 Andy Smith

Mardle was useless from the off and only won 3 legs in the match. Smith played well enough but Mardle just looked totaly out of the match after the first leg when his head dropped and he wasnt his usual self. Far play to the pie an but im hugely disappointed for Mardle as I had high hopes for him this week.

Andy Callaby 2-3 Terry Jenkins

This was an entertaining game even if the standard was belo average. They traded legs and sets the whole way through but finally that little bit of extra class that Jenkins has saw him through. Callaby suffered with his doubles big time and if he could have hit some then he woud have won the game. Jenkins is through and is capable of much better than he showed tonight.

Anto McCracken 1-3 Bob Anderson

Im dsappointed for Anto because Anderson was really off his game tonight and was there for the taking.Anto looked much more relaxed than on Monday and played some better darts except he hadreal trouble finding the starting double. He was just atracious at starting off and suffered because of it. Once he got the starting double he scored well but most times it was too late. By no means was it an embarrassment and he did manage to win a set. Fair play to him and im sure he will learn from the experience.

Lionel Sams 1-3 Peter Manley

This looked like it was going to be a close game when it went to 1 set all but Manleys class shone through as Sams ega to struggle. Just when Manley neded it he found the extra gear to take him through. The top half of the draw has really opened up for him now and he has agreatchance of making the final.

I cantwait for tomorrow when we have 4 top class matches. Really wish I had gotten off work so I cold have gone into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

willis wrote:

mate,

I may have one to spare but wont know until tomorrow. 20 of us heading in, and one of the lads very uncertain. will PM by lunchtime if I hear anything for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I thought Taylor would have been the crowd favourite. Why was everyone up for Barney tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Everyone up for Barney before he came out, but about half way through the second set, it was clearly evident that most people had changed over to Taylor.
    Anybody know if Priestly came back against Lewis, when we were leaving looked like it might head into a deciding set.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Roddy23 wrote:
    Everyone up for Barney before he came out, but about half way through the second set, it was clearly evident that most people had changed over to Taylor.
    Anybody know if Priestly came back against Lewis, when we were leaving looked like it might head into a deciding set.

Yeah, it went all the way, 3-2 to Priestly, wining the final set 3-0!

Lewis just wasn't at the races for most of this match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RocketPower

Kingp35 wrote:
    Im heading in on the Friday and Saturday anyway, maybe the Sunday as well depending on who is in it.

Great win tonight for the Irish lad McCracken. Its great to see Irish lads doing well although I have to admit that it was a truely awful standard of play, one of the worst, if not the worst, televised matches I have seen. Walshe has very very bad and McCracken was far too inconsistent. He needs to calm himself down more insteadof just chucking the darts. He is a bit crazy as well!

Disappointed to see Part go out so early but fair play to Sams. Part won the first four legs but he was never scoring welland Sams upped his game to knock him out. Painter was the next shock of the night as Callaby knocked him out. To be fair to Callaby he played some great darts and deserved the wn. Painter was very disappointing.

The Lloyd V Anderson match was superb. Brilliant darts from both playersand yet again Lloyd gets knocked out in the first round of a televised match.The standard was fantastic and I was disappointed that it was only a first round match as it was over so quickly. Bob now plays McCracken in the next round and I can see Anderson giving him a real hammering.

The Manley Mason match ws a real disappointed because, as we have seen so mny times before, Mason just failed to deliver. He just could not hit the double to start and yet again he got annoyed with himself and the game was onl going to go on way. Manley played some good stuff but it was far too easy.

Wayne Mardle looked in good form in his wi over Dennis Ovens. He hit his doubles well and scored well. Mardles half of the draw is looking very winnable for him with Manley the only real big name left in after tonight. Mardle cold quite easily make the final.

Roland Scholten beat Dave Askew 2-0 in the nights final match.

I was at the Darts on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Need I say more about the big one on Thursday. The atmospheare was magic and was one of the greatest sporting experiences that i have ever had. Piy about the Rocket and Jackpot, but in all fairness Denis did well to win considering that he was 2-0 up.

Looking forward to the weekend and also the world championships in Dec/Jan (hope the power and barney can be kept apart until the very latter stages).

Hope you enjoy the rest of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

What a match between Barney and Taylor last night.
    Shame it wasn't the final and over 7/8 sets!

The crowd was amazing!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Give it time, once Barney gets his world ranking and seed, they'll be meeting each other in finals and semi's all the time next year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

indeed

Well im back home from the City West this morning after being in there on Friday and Saturday night. The Atmosphere was pretty good last night as there was too good games. Manley was a little disappointing but fair play to Terry Jenkins for getting to his first ever final.

I think the real final though was the Taylor against Priestley match. It was a great game and I really though Dennis could take him. At 4-3 to Taylor Prietley had darts to make it 4-4 in sets but missed them. If they had have gone in then I think the game would have went the whole way. Still Priestley put up a good fight but I expect Taylor to beat Jenkins pretty handily in tonights final.

Great two nights of darts. I cant wait until I head over to the circus tavern to the world Championships :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The atmpsphere on Saturday night was decent enough, but only in Ireland would you get fools singing when the players are throwing. Typical clueless event junkies, which in itself is fine, but when they are showing such a lack of respect for the players, it's criminal. End of rant. :mad:

Bateman wrote:
    The atmpsphere on Saturday night was decent enough, but only in Ireland would you get fools singing when the players are throwing. Typical clueless event junkies, which in itself is fine, but when they are showing such a lack of respect for the players, it's criminal. End of rant. :mad:

Yeah I agree. I was thinking this myself when I was in there, How many people actually go to watch the darts and support the players compared to those that go because its a good night out and wanna get drunk? Now I was dwning the pints when I was in there but I watched every dart thrown and supported and clapped the whole night. Lodas of people just stayed outside in the lobby at the bookies for the entire night. Thats annoys the hell out of me because people who actually love the sport and wanted to see the people they look up to couldnt get a ticket because of these guys that just jump on the bandwagon. Rant Over :mad:

It was a decent final tonight in that it was close. Taylor was no where near his usual self and Terry Jenkins really had a chance to win. I thought once Taylor won 4 sets on the bounce that he was going to stroll it but Jenkins kept plugging away and Taylor began to struggle. If Jenkins could have hit his opening doubles just a bit better he easily could have won the match. Still credit where credit is due and congratulations to Taylor for winning. The man is just unbelievable.

Roll on Purfleet and the Circus Tavern :)

Advertisement