Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Urgent VRT advice!!

Options
  • 23-10-2006 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi,

I'm just about to buy a car ('84 Merc SEC 500) from a guy who brought it in from the UK, restored it but nevr vrt'd it. He told me he can tax it for me in the UK for 6 months which would mean I could legally drive it here for six months until the UK tax runs out and then VRT.

Is this legal? Can the car be seized in the 6 months?
    How do I actually VRT it, where do I go (Dublin) and what do I need?
    How does the change of ownership work with a UK car?

Apologies for all the questions but I've never done this before and want to make sure everything is in order.

Thanks for any advice,

Ruppert

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Go to www.revenue.ie to work out the VRT!!
    YOu have to be living in the UK and have proof of living there and paying taxes for 6 months to get away with paying the VRT!! Your better of VRT'ing it ASAP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

ruppert wrote:
    Hi,

I'm just about to buy a car ('84 Merc SEC 500) from a guy who brought it in from the UK, restored it but nevr vrt'd it. He told me he can tax it for me in the UK for 6 months which would mean I could legally drive it here for six months until the UK tax runs out and then VRT.

Is this legal? Can the car be seized in the 6 months?
    How do I actually VRT it, where do I go (Dublin) and what do I need?
    How does the change of ownership work with a UK car?

Apologies for all the questions but I've never done this before and want to make sure everything is in order.

Thanks for any advice,

Ruppert

You must have a UK resident address for you to drive it over here, if you don't, then you need to pay VRT and irish road tax, which i would assume is 1300 euro /year for your car

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You must register the car pretty much straight away. UK road tax covers UK roads and is not recognised here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

On a slight tangent, the idea of a "restored" 500SEC would make me very nervous indeed. Have you had the car professionally checked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes I would forget about it completely !

You dont know what the VRT amount is, but its likley to be a lot more now the vehicle is in better condition !

There are thousand of these cars for sale, I would avoid this one anyway !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Just guessing some of the criteria, but...

" DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): SEPTEMBER 1984
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €7797
    RATE OF TAX: 30.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €2339"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ruppert

Thanks for the replies.

Will get the car vrt'd right away.

Have had the car professionally checked and everything's in order. Shouldn't have said 'restored', car was off the road for last ten years or so in uk (only did 9k miles) so it was more of a tidying job etc. engine, chasis, interior etc. all original.

Had an oline quote for 1980 euro vrt.

What do I need to do re. change of ownership?

Cheers,

Ruppert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

ruppert wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

Will get the car vrt'd right away.

Have had the car professionally checked and everything's in order. Shouldn't have said 'restored', car was off the road for last ten years or so in uk (only did 9k miles) so it was more of a tidying job etc. engine, chasis, interior etc. all original.

Had an oline quote for 1980 euro vrt.

What do I need to do re. change of ownership?

Cheers,

Ruppert

You need proof of ownership, ie the Full V5 document. produce this at the VRT office, fill out one form, pay yout 1980 euro (i would appeal the amount BTW, the OMSP seems high to me.)

bring the form to the Road Tax office and pay the tax, you'll also need to contact the NCT office and give details of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

All you need to do is to bring the car, the V5, and the money to your local VRO. The V5 doesn't have to be in your name, so you don't need to worry about changing ownership.

Advertisement