Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last Man Standing....Help Required

• 23-10-2006 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭

Have made it to the last seven in work for our last man standing competition. Been there before and it's around about now that I become unstuck as I've usually picked all the big boys. However, this time I have kept most of them them and decided they should now come in to play but just my look have checked the fixtures list and both Utd and Chelsea are away so sticking to my golden rule ofonly picking home teams they are unavailable. Any tips? Fixture list below, have already picked Villa, Blackburn, Arsenal and Everton. Thinking of Fulham this week but suggestions welcome. Home teams only please minus the four mentioned above. Cheers

SAT 28-OCT-06 Sheffield United v Chelsea

SAT 28-OCT-06 Arsenal v Everton

SAT 28-OCT-06 Bolton Wanderers v Manchester United

SAT 28-OCT-06 Fulham v Wigan Athletic

SAT 28-OCT-06 Liverpool v Aston Villa

SAT 28-OCT-06 Portsmouth v Reading

SAT 28-OCT-06 Watford v Tottenham Hotspur

SAT 28-OCT-06 Newcastle United v Charlton Athletic

SUN 29-OCT-06 West Ham United v Blackburn Rovers

MON 30-OCT-06 Manchester City v Middlesbrough

PS Being a United fan I have taken Bolton out of the equation as I don't wanna go against my own team

Who should I pick? 20 votes

Sheffield United
    0% 0 votes
    Fulham
    0% 0 votes
    Liverpool
    10% 2 votes
    Portsmouth
    15% 3 votes
    Watford
    25% 5 votes
    Newcastle United
    5% 1 vote
    West Ham United
    35% 7 votes
    Manchester City
    10% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Id pick Chelsea, but if I were to stick to your rule of home teams then Newcastle United would be my pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd pick Newcastle too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That's because you fancy Scott Parker.

seansouth wrote:
    That's because you fancy Scott Parker.

Oh you! See his mesmerising run yesterday?

Nope, I was at training.

Where were you?

• Advertisement

Wexford, for the weekend.

:D

Very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Get rid of your home pick only rule and pick chelsea.

I wouldnt be at all confident with any of the home teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I reckon Man.City will beat Middlesbourgh. They never let me down. (Even tough I am a Liverpool Fan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Reganio 2 wrote:
    I reckon Man.City will beat Middlesbourgh. They never let me down. (Even tough I am a Liverpool Fan)

I've supported City for 17 years and they've always let me down. Don't back them. Ever.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote:
    I've supported City for 17 years and they've always let me down. Don't back them. Ever.
    lol. That's a terrible thing to say. Shows a lot of loyalty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

seansouth wrote:
    Nope, I was at training.

Where were you?

pwned tbh :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Reganio 2 wrote:
    lol. That's a terrible thing to say. Shows a lot of loyalty though.

A terrible thing to say but unfortunately true. Six promotions and relegations in seven seasons had taught me a thing or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

Thats a tough one for home teams..

Liverpool or Portsmouth but jasus if you only ever take home teams maybe thats why you always get stuck at this stage..

Chelsea all the way for this one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Pompey would be my choice for a home team.

Chelsea look great for this week.

Fulham of course are VERY good at home, but they are more of a gamble them Pompey or Chelsea.

KdjaCL wrote:
    pwned tbh :D

kdjac

Well I did watch it on the Sunday night highlights... :D

Don't make me get the Wexford photo's out! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Fulham for me. Very good at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I'd abandon the home rule too (EDIT: damn Parnellites), there is not one away team that I wouldn't fancy - other than Everton and maybe Villa. Newcastle is probably you're best bet if you insist on sticking to the rule, but Chelsea are more or less a sure thing next week. Many of the other 6 will likely already have used up the Chelsea option and will be stuck with some tricky choices. Best play it safe I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Cheers for the advice, lads and ladies. Might actualy go for Chelsea. Don't fancy City at all and have been stung by Newcastle before. As for going against Boro, have learned the hard way not to mess with them when money's involved. Think I'll let PP decide this week unless someone has a really strong feeling about someone. Whoever Paddy Power's fav is this weekend may well get my vote. Just need to get through this week and then I'm confident of winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'd personally go for spurs......

Hitting abit of form of late, expect them to win away to Watford..

As long as Keane doesnt play that is:eek: :o

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote:
    Cheers for the advice, lads and ladies. Might actualy go for Chelsea. Don't fancy City at all and have been stung by Newcastle before. As for going against Boro, have learned the hard way not to mess with them when money's involved. Think I'll let PP decide this week unless someone has a really strong feeling about someone. Whoever Paddy Power's fav is this weekend may well get my vote. Just need to get through this week and then I'm confident of winning
    Fine then when Man. city win and Chelsea draw don't come crying to me.:D
    Only buzzin good luck with whoever you pick
    P.S. Man. City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Man City and Newcastle are 2 teams I've great problems backing, Chelsea ftw

PP have their odds up for the weekend and their home banker is Liverpool against Villa, not putting my money on that, time to break my own rule. Even though they weren't an option Chelsea seem to be the choice here so going with them. Fingers crossed and thanks again. Has the advantage of being first game of the weekend too so can relax after half past two if they win.

Went with Pompey last week. Man United this week despite a poor show midweek. Five left, three on Liverpool and one on Bolton so hoping for three results to go my way to win the pot

Advertisement