Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young drivers to be target of tough new proposals

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

kbannon wrote:
    But the RSA proposal will affect drivers both before and after they pass the test. However, whilst they are targetting young drivers with this initiative, there are other (inefficient?) initiatives out there targetting all drivers.

And what? This will magically make everything alright? Because as soon as the two year probationary period comes up (which is just another excuse for the insurance cartel to f*ck you for longer) you're out of sight and may eventually start doing what everyone else is doing ... and then we're back to square one.

Enforcement. if someone doesn't get that fact, beat them with a tire iron. Then repeat the word. Enforcement. Beat them again. Enforcement. etc. you get the idea. People have to have a little bit of fear for traffic law. Nothing paralatic, just a healthy respect that if they get caught (and it's odds on that they will) then they wont do anything too stupid.

As a case in point, I'll cite Glasgow a couple of years ago after the introduction of cameras on most traffic lights. The message got sent out that if you jump a red light (or as is common here to race through), then you'll be done. And guess what happened? People stopped breaking lights. Simple as that. Perceived enforcement makes people behave. Of course, driver education is still needed since cameras on traffic lights is a simplistic point to make.

Incidentally, most other countries have a probationary period that is far, far shorter than two years. Where did the two years come from? Another arbitrary suggestion pulled out of someone's ass. This is what insurance premiums are supposed to deal with ... if you are a bad driver, you wont be able to afford to drive (legally anyway). And what happens after two years anyway? You're suddenly "better"? Are they planning to take licenses away? But they've already been awarded ... but but but ... that means the driving test is a complete sham since the *real* test is simply bidding your time for an additional two years. As I said, a suggestion pulled out of some moronic PR person's ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I was randomly breathalyzed the Sunday before last in Meath on a back road. The same checkpoint was up on the same back road three weeks earlier checking licenses.

I can't speak for Dublin anymore, but the Traffic Corps in Meath are really on the ball these days.

Live in Meath myself so this is good to hear.

Advertisement