Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sauze D'Oulx

Options
  • 23-10-2006 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Has anyone been to Sauze D'Oulx? Im looking to book a trip for some friends about 6 of us. I heard this place is good if you get the snow.

Im looking for some recommendations for places to stay close to the Gondola, nice cheap hotels with breakfast and dinner in the evening.

Even negative feedback about this spot would be good.

Failing that if anyone has any place they would recommend I would like to hear about it, I always find it quite difficult to pick a resort/hotel.

Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Cooee

I've been there twice - but before the upgrade work on lifts and connections happened for the Winter Olympics.

Good points: Very short transfer (1 hour)
    Decent selection of hotels, pubs and restaurants.
    Good skiing (esp. when the links to Sestriere and San Sicario are open)

Bad Points: Smallish amount of green slopes if you have beginners
    Wind or bad snow can close links to neighbouoring areas restricting the amounf of terrain for the better skiers.
    It is lowish so the snow can be poor...

Things to bear in mind! Forstly make sure that your prospective hotel is in the village of Sauze D'Oulx and not down in the adjoining (but DOWNHILL) village of Jouvenceaux.

Can't remember the names of many pubs - McGintys (the ubiquitous Irish pub) was good, The Derby Bar, Ghost....it's a small walkable town so you wil find them quickly.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The only negatives I had from there was that the snow quality was poor and I have heard that it is regularly hit and miss. There was good craic around town though, and the transfer gondloa to the adjoining resorts are good, but on the way back you had to get a really long button lift (20 mins) part of the way, no other choice, and this was awkward for the boarders in our group. I think though this was not a permanent situation as there was a chairlift that seemed to be able to get around this, but it was not open for the duration I was there. Small points really. The selection is really good for intermediates, but like anywhere, if the snow is not there it is hard going.

Advertisement