Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christ Illusion (new Slayer album): wow!

• 23-10-2006 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

Holy hell! Listened to this new album for the first time over the weekend, and wow it's powerful stuff!

They seem to have somehow managed to get even angrier than God Hates Us All -- the first track is absolutely breathtaking and Jihad is rathr good as well. How long it willo hold it's suspense for is another question but for now, I think I'm going to listen again!

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

i found it quite meh. bit more balls to it than recent stuff, but still nothing special. i hate to jump on the bandwagon of people saying how Slayer havent had a meaningful release in the last 15 years, but that is how i feel.

i'm not going to pine for a return to the old days tho; i think it would be rather close-minded for anyone not to expect a band to change and evolve over time. and besides, Slayer are still a kickass live act.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Its a quality album, I dont think think thers a bad song on it. Skeleton Christ is fantastic, Jihad, Cult and Eyes of the insane are brilliant too. Great to see Lombardo back behind the drums.

As regards the previous post, I cant agree that slayer havent released anything meaningful in the last 15 years, Ok so undisputed attitude isint great but look what metallica have done since the black album

Slayer are still Thrashin and bringin out albums other bands wish they could write But you are right that they brilliant live and i cant wait to see em again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

i dont think you can compare Metallica & Slayer during the 90s; Metallica turned into a rock band over the course of Load & ReLoad :p

i just feel that if you look at early Slayer, the stuff they released was top notch at the time. they release an album now and i think "hmm, new Slayer album is out, but i'm much more eager to listen to x, y & z"

i dont have a ticket for the November gig yet, short on cash, hopefully i'll be there tho, if all goes to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shad0w-

Personally I think this album is fairly dull. Perhaps it's unfair to compare this album to 1986, so I won't, but compared to what Slayer are capable of in general, this album is just mediocre. It does sound like a product of late 80's thrash, which is a good thing, but the songs are so poorly written and constructed that it becomes irrelevant, and overall the album is just a bore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Half expected him to whisper "God hates us all" at times. Nice album, tho. Can't wait for the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Can't believe I still haven't gotten this and given it a listen as it's only two weeks to the gig, bah!
    Some people say it is good, good enough for me.
    I like all teh albums so far, a lot, and I don't imagine Slayer have changed their formula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

god i still cant afford unholy alliance.........anyone want a kidney??

And back on to the album, its good not great but good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

It's great to hear the precission of Lonbardo's drumming again.....

...but it's offset somewhat by Kerry King's increasingly sloppy leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

It's decent, but like all Slayer albums post Seasons, it's inessential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

xanthor wrote:
    It's great to hear the precission of Lonbardo's drumming again.....

...but it's offset somewhat by Kerry King's increasingly sloppy leads.

The drumming is probably the best thing on the album all right. The vocals sound somewhat tired at this stage, people say that it's unfair to compare a band to their past, which is ok imo if the band doesn't appear to be trying to recreate the music of their past. So from that perspective this is not a great album. It's decent, and listenable, but its by no means the album of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

meh lumbardos drumming is just too boreing for me, i mean its fast paced and tight as hell which is great for a thrash band like slayer but god i love anything that paul bostaph has ever had a hand in, testiment slayer exodus and im sure im forgetting LOADS.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭odranCN

awful album in fairness now.... nothing like south of heaven or seasons in the abyss, they are much better any day of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Agreed, not worth a dime I'm afraid. All their attempts to sound more refined have ended up sounding watered down and weak. Not even mighty Dave could save them. People say they didn't go like Metallica or Megadeth, but they did. They've always been naturally heavier than both bands, and all since Seasons (with the exception of a few tracks on Divine Intervention) has been a watered down mainstream Slayer that doesn't deserve the praise it's been afforded by clearly half deaf (probably from earlier thrash gigs in the 80s) devotees who simply refuse to admit the band's massive fall from greatness. Just my 2 cents anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Agree with the above sentiments. It's nothing special, just like Slayer for the past 10 years. Slayer kick ass live and Reign in Blood is a masterpiece but this new album is just a rethread of God Hates ... Cover is cool though :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I seen them in Wales in October 2004, at the Cardiff International Arena, and I have to say Slipknot wiped the floor with them. Any band who turn their backs to the audience and refuse to address the crowds presence for the first 40mins of a gig should be shot. Coupled with that, the house lights were down for the entire gig, and when Tom did speak I couldnt even hear what he was mumbling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭DMG 1972

I'm very impressed with Christ Illusion - this was the first Slayer album I'd bought since seasons in the abyss and I am suprised how good it is - this could be because I had low expectations though.

Maybe when you compare it with their earlier albums you can argue its average but I reckon it sounds top class in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 getthegarglein

looking forward to gig tonight.... yeah the new albums mediocre, but looking at playlists from the tour so far, its mostly the earlier stuff up to seasons they'll be playin... btw slayer were in bruxelles tonight :)

Advertisement