Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ministers propose new 'R' plates

Options
  • 23-10-2006 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

Cullen is looking at various other EU states and is about topropose new R plates for newly qualified drivers.
    The Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen, has said the driving licensing regime needs to be changed entirely.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio, Mr Cullen said he favoured a graduated licensing system that was 'very restrictive' when it came to drivers getting their first licence.

He said in many countries drivers were required to pass their tests in a range of different weather conditions and this produced more rounded drivers.
    Advertisement

Mr Cullen said the provisional licence system in Northern Ireland would need to be replicated here and that it may be possible to fit speed limiters to cars.

Mr Cullen was commenting following the deaths of seven people on the country's roads over the weekend.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1023/rta.html

Enforcement for two weeks then back to norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Cullen was dreaming up new legislation over his cornflakes this morning again I see.

Why don't they go away, actually think things over and come back to us in a month with a set of workable and enforcable proposals. At the moment Cullen and the RSA are only speaking pub talk, except it is grand to be bullsh1tting when you are on a high stool, but not when you job involves actually addressing the issues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

layke wrote:

Enforcement for two weeks then back to norm?

That's the problem, enforcement by whom? I drive daily on the M50 and see cars with L plates regularly. This is clearly against the law (and the drivers hands glued to the steering wheel at "ten and two" gives the game away!) but I've yet to see a learner pulled over.

It's all political kneejerk reaction to some idiots driving over the weekend. We know that shag all has been dome by the government and we know there's an election next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

From the indo...
    L-drivers targeted as carnage claims six more lives...

Speeding young male drivers aged 17-24 now account for most of the carnage on our roads, a confidential garda report reveals.

These drivers are seven times more likely to be killed than any other group.

Noel Brett refused to disclose exactly what measures would be brought forward this week. But, based on best practice in other jurisdictions, the measures are expected to include the six penalty points ban, as well as the curbs on engine size and speed.

The board of the RSA has drawn up the range of new measures aimed at slashing the death toll among young drivers. They are certain to include:

* Learner drivers and those just qualified will be automatically banned from driving if they get six penalty points instead of the normal 12 points. Drivers who pass the test face the six point ban for a further two years.

* L-drivers will not be permitted to drive above a certain fixed speed, expected to be 80kph. This means they cannot drive at higher permitted speeds such as 100kph on main roads and 120kph on motorways.

* They will be restricted to low engine size vehicles for a set period. The size has yet to be determined but it is expected L-drivers and new full licence holders will not be able to drive high-powered two-litre cars and will be restricted to entry grade 1l to 1.4l.

* They will have to put 'R' plates on the front and rear of their cars.

* They will have a zero drink-driving limit...

It makes sense to target a group if they figure disproportionately highly in the stats.

Dyflin wrote:
    That's the problem, enforcement by whom? I drive daily on the M50 and see cars with L plates regularly. This is clearly against the law (and the drivers hands glued to the steering wheel at "ten and two" gives the game away!) but I've yet to see a learner pulled over.

It's all political kneejerk reaction to some idiots driving over the weekend. We know that shag all has been dome by the government and we know there's an election next year...

Agreed. its just a political kneejerk reaction for votes. With little or no enforcement its meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Christ that won't work.

Zero drink tollerance.
    Scenerio :: an accident in the morning after you were on the lash the night before. Although your blood levels show you have been drinking that's what zero tollerance means.

Excellent, traffic will slow down even more. Learners will experience the joys of being ass ridden, flashed and beeped at by fully qualified drivers trying to pass them.

Restricted Engine size?
    Micras or even any 1.4l can easily do 120km/h a 1.4 130km/h it just takes a little bit longer to get there. Besides if there was a crash between a micra and a BMW i'd rather be in the beemer ta. The micra driver is more likely to take the worst of it.

• Advertisement

layke wrote:
    Christ that won't work.

Zero drink tollerance.
    Scenerio :: an accident in the morning after you were on the lash the night before. Although your blood levels show you have been drinking that's what zero tollerance means.

And rightly so. You can still be effected in the morning. :confused:
    layke wrote:
    Excellent, traffic will slow down even more. Learners will experience the joys of being ass ridden, flashed and beeped at by fully qualified drivers trying to pass them.

Don't drive when its busy if you are holding people up.
    layke wrote:
    Restricted Engine size?
    Micras or even any 1.4l can easily do 120km/h a 1.4 130km/h it just takes a little bit longer to get there. Besides if there was a crash between a micra and a BMW i'd rather be in the beemer ta. The micra driver is more likely to take the worst of it.

I think thats the point. In a smaller car you feel more insecure so should drive slower/more carefully.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

And rightly so. You can still be effected in the morning. :confused:

I think the issue is "when can you drive". E.g. if I go out drinking on sat night, can I drive by sunday morning.. sunday afternoon...monday morning

or if I take some cough bottle?

I think thats the point. In a smaller car you feel more insure so should driver slower/more carefully.

:D:D:D

Should feel.

Theres self tests you can do if you're that desperate to binge drink.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement