Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Bravo overheating problems...funnily enough!

Options
  • 23-10-2006 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

My regular visits here when something goes wrong with the Bravo...its a 97 SX 1.4.

Right, its had an overheating problem for a while now, caused by an airlock. Cant find the leak of course, that would be too simple. So Ive been bleeding the system every so often to get the air out and topping up the water.

Anyway, on Wednesday evening, herself was driving home and the car pretty suddenly overheated. She managed to limp it home by stopping every two minutes. I did the usual bleed and fill of the coolant later on, but it just heats up in 30 seconds and sounds in pain!

My brain says head gasket but a part of me is hoping its something smaller. So help please!

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You say it sounds "in pain" - is there a noise coming from the water pump. This is probably located around the timing/alternator belt area. The pump could be the problem. Initially they may weep coolant and after a while the impeller bearings start making noise. If left long enough the pump can break up or seize taking the timing belt with it if that's what drives it

The head gasket may not have been the cause of the overheating but unfortunately overheating may now have casued it to blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Can you hear a knocking noise in the car (it would sound like a clock ticking), if so more than likely you need to get a new Heat Regulator Valve.

Advertisement