Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinion - Land Rover Discovery

Options
  • 23-10-2006 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Lookling at buying a land rover discovery - commerical - somewhere between '99 and '03.

Anyone got any opinions - gotchas with this model or these years??

All help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A neighbour of mine had one and the gearbox went on him. Apparently it is a known issue with the Disco. They did improve from about 2000 onwards as Ford's infuence took over. My advice is to buy as new as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Had a 2000 commercial TD5 with over 120k miles on it and got no trouble - just usual servicing, etc. Sunroof leaked, but unblocking the drain pipes soon sorted that out.

Got a 2004 one then, passenger, auto, and it was as reliable as the previous one.

Now have a Discovery 3, and it's great! :D

In late 2002, they facelifted the Series2 Disco - most obvious difference is the new headlights. Not many were sold in 2002 in Ireland of the facelift, so it's 2003 on you should ideally look for. There is quite a bit of difference between them - the facelifted ones are quieter, auto versions have more torque, suspension refined some, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Join Club Land-Rover Ireland. If you're any way mechanically-minded (and into off-roading of course) it will save you a fortune.

Friend of mine has a 2000 Disco, and was well involved with CLRI. Some of those guys know an awful lot about Land Rovers.

Incidentally, he moved to south of Spain and we did the road-trip from Roscoff to near Malaga in his disco, loaded to the brim in the back, full-length roof-rack with roof-tent, and a fully loaded trailer. Took it handy all the way down, mostly sitting in behind trucks with the cruise-control on at 100kph. But other than his self-installed AC going (he fitted it the week beforehand), we had no problems - turned out to be a relay gone.

I was only surprised that the back springs actually came back up after 4 days fully loaded!!!

Advertisement