Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick advice on a wireless bundle

• 23-10-2006 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a wireless bundle for my ntl cable broadband. I've been looking at this bundle on komplett and wondering would this be ok?

I'm going to be using a laptop and I've heard that a USB wireless adapter is more reliable than a pci card, is there any truth to this or is it just the usb is better to have because it is handier?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I'm looking to get a wireless bundle for my ntl cable broadband. I've been looking at this bundle on komplett and wondering would this be ok?
    Yes.
    I'm going to be using a laptop and I've heard that a USB wireless adapter is more reliable than a pci card, is there any truth to this or is it just the usb is better to have because it is handier?
    It's pretty difficult to put a PCI card into a laptop.

A PCI wireless card has a bigger antenna than a USB adapter. But it may be shielded from your router by the metal case of your PC, and it may be inconvenient to move the PC to get better reception. So it'll work better for some people, and worse for others. A USB adapter and a PCMCIA adapter should be similiar, though with a USB cable, it's easier to reposition the USB adapter if you're getting a flakey signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just realised the bundle I mentioned above only has WEP encryption, will not having WPA make much of a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Just realised the bundle I mentioned above only has WEP encryption, will not having WPA make much of a difference?
    Komplett is wrong. The D-Link DWL-922 combo consists of a DI-524 and a DWL-G122. Both of these devices support WPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Foxwood wrote:
    Komplett is wrong. The D-Link DWL-922 combo consists of a DI-524 and a DWL-G122. Both of these devices support WPA.

Aha right you are :)
    Just one more question. Is it possible that my wireless mouse that also operates at 2.4Ghz could interfere with the wireless router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The wireless mouse might interfere, but it is unlikely. These things cohabit quite well.

You should also consider the FON router (http://www.fon.com) - FON also sells a USB adapter. This would be cheaper, but it wouldn't give you extra ethernet sockets which you may need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement