Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picket fencing

Options
  • 23-10-2006 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

After a recent dog escape I have to put a small 2 foot picket fence around my 90 foot garden. Does anyone know where is the best place to get this? Woodies in Dublin charge 27 Euro for 6 foot of the stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I looked into this myself during the Summer and could not believe the price of the pre-made stuff. Shopped around between Woodies, B&Q and some garden centres and the prices were all more or less the same.

In the end, I just bought the materials from a timber yard and made them myself for a fraction of the cost.

4x4 posts
    2x2 for rails
    Box of screws

For the lats I picked up some shiplap in B&Q, they are 100mm by 10mm in 12Ft lengths that you can cut to size.

It's still standing and keeping the kids contained.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Fair play to you... and thanks for the reply and advice. however, my DIY is really really bad. Where was the timber yard?

Chadwicks and Brooks in Naas is where I got my materials.

The only problem you might have is that Brooks and Chadwicks will probably only sell in 14 or 16Ft lengths so unless you have a van.....

If you get the stuff in B&Q they will cut it to length for you AFAIK for a small fee.

No disrepect meant if you feel you are not up to it but it really is fairly simple to do. Sure give it a go, one more DIYer in the world will mean less profits for the kind of guy that charges €27 for a 6Ft length of picket fence.:p

I don't even have a saw! Dude... I can barely hang up pictures.

Thanks a million anyway!

Ok, the only suggestion I can make is to go to B&Q, find the pre-made picket fence and get the name of the manufacturer. It was some crowd in Wicklow if I remember correctly. Maybe if you give them a call they will sell direct to you. Might be a few quid cheaper.

*Either that or buy a rope and tie up the dog:D

*Only kidding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭secman

Just a side comment, you say a 2ft picket fence to keep dog in, is the dog that small ? Most average sized dogs would be able to leap 2 ft fence without much effort.

Excellent idea squire, mind you I am warming to the idea of doing it myself.

Good point secman, there is a big drop, the house is on a height. The dogs can jump down the drop of about 3 foot, however they would not jump over the two foot fence and risk the 5 foot drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭secman

Thats if they remember that its a 3 ft drop over the 2ft fence ! I would err on the safe side and make sure they could not leap the fence, as they defo wouldn't be able to get back over and also vets fees are quite expensive !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

squire1 wrote:
    Chadwicks and Brooks in Naas is where I got my materials.

The only problem you might have is that Brooks and Chadwicks will probably only sell in 14 or 16Ft lengths so unless you have a van.....

If you get the stuff in B&Q they will cut it to length for you AFAIK for a small fee.

Or you could just bring your own saw (or buy one there). Cutting them in half will get them into a car or onto a roof rack.

secman wrote:
    as they defo wouldn't be able to get back over and also vets fees are quite expensive !

I am positive this will work, I know the dogs really well. Normally I wouldn't bother, but one of them bolted after a banger went off. Most of the time they can't be arsed to jump, they prefer to just look at the world go by. Your right about the vets fees though! I have insurance now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Abwood have great selection of fences and panels that anyone could put up. They have picket type in panels and are very reasonable. They are located just 8 miles or so from Bray. Very helpful and can also provide a fitting service. I went there from Co. Kildare on Sat and saved a fortune on fencing and gates. Would recommend you give them a call. They also have a website abwood.ie

Advertisement