Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Davey boy for TV3

• 23-10-2006 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

It looks like we'll soon be hearing the last of McRedmond's spin, at least on behalf of Eircom.

M.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No assets to strip there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Mr_Man wrote:
    It looks like we'll soon be hearing the last of McRedmond's spin, at least on behalf of Eircom.

M.

I'll miss Daves mystical musings on telecommunications in Ireland, a worthy opponent I must say.
    I wish him well in his new post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't see why being paid to lie is any better than lying for any other reason. A liar is a liar is a liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

You have to admit the guy is a master of his trade. I'm sure he'll serve TV3 equally as well as he did eircom.

Maybe Thinkhouse PR should give him a gig as well :)

John

Yes John, he's very good at lying. Do none of ye get that (for example) Bertie is back up in the polls post-demonstrable-corruption because of admiration of people like Redmond? As long as this pathetic Oirish sure-and-begorrah-isn't-the-chancer-a-laugh idiocy goes on, we'll continue getting thieves and liars in government.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dave will no doubt call 'his TV3 a national channel with national coverage even though he only has 75% geographic coverage for it because his predecessors refused to pay for relay transmitters , only using main transmitters and I cannot really see Dave ( of all people) suddenly showing an interest in this lack of coverage in rural areas . :D

Much of rural Ireland has therefore been spared the awfulness of TV3 with its cheap pastel people on cheap pastel sets and their cheap and odious pastel prattle and now that ITV is free on satellite it is an irrelevancy as a station because the picture quality on ITV is much better Dave seeing as it is Digital not like your analogue dialup quality POS

You're a big fan SB, I can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

Well, if nothing else he relishes a challenge. How to find something positive to say about TV3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Well in fairness there is that wonderful and no doubt "soon to be legendary" hit "the box" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Why has he left eircom? The man is a legend, can wrap anyone around his finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Well, to "speak against the Motion" which seems to be a case of bashing Dave McRedmond, I always found him anxious to solve the ails of Eircom. I made contact with him on two occasions, one a minor issue and one which was definitely major and in which I must say, Eircom were not at fault and both times he came up trumps.

Dave, Good luck in the new post. I hope it goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

IT Article:
    London-based private equity fund Doughty Hanson has appointed former Eircom commercial director David McRedmond as chief executive at TV3, the commercial television station it acquired during the summer.

Mr McRedmond (44) will be responsible for delivering the strategy of the private fund, which acquired TV3 for €265 million from Canadian group CanWest, ITV and a group of private investors. The deal was financed with a €140 million equity investment and debt from Anglo Irish Bank.

From Dublin, Mr McRedmond worked in the book retailing sector in Britain and the US before returning to Ireland to join Eircom in 1999. He set up the Waterstone's business in the US. After Waterstone's takeover by WH Smith, he was chief executive of WH Smith's US unit.

At Eircom, he had responsibility for strategy, regulatory affairs, public policy and communications. His departure from the telecoms group followed its takeover by Babcock & Brown, the Australian investment fund.

"We are excited about the qualities David will bring to TV3. The station has established a strong commercial footprint in a highly competitive marketplace and we are confident that new ownership will provide the catalyst for further growth," said TV3 chairman James Morris. "His enthusiasm and vision for the development and growth of the company reflect our own drive and ambition in continually breaking new ground in this marketplace."

Mr McRedmond, who takes up the position in December, said he looked forward to working with TV3's new investors to build on the broadcaster's base. "I have watched the successful establishment by TV3 of a strong brand with a distinct identity that appeals and delivers to Irish consumers and advertisers," he said.

© The Irish Times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I'd,

have to say that my experience with Davey Boy is a lot less rewarding than yours Avns1s. I emailed him, and also sent him a letter, asking for his help in getting a problem with my line sorted out. This was after all other avenues were exhausted yet he did not even acknowledge either contact.

This was one of the reasons I started a GBS in my area and I am now happy to report that partially thanks to Davey Boy there are lots of people in the North Wicklow area who are no longer Eircom hostages, and have access to BB.

M.

Any time I personally met him he was the complete gentleman and professional - I could not fault the man. But then, as already pointed out, he is very very good at his job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I've seen emails from him blaming the laws of physics as to why people could not get broadband yet the laws were suspended when people in the exact same situation decided to use a national broadcaster to help them resolve their issues.

The man was a professional and consistent promoter and spreader of mistruths and that's how many on this forum will remember him.

Which is why I said "personally" and not "professionally" - the d'ivil is in de detail!

(I too live in fear of this forum, scary! But I am still here after 4 years & working for 2 carriers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

crawler wrote:
    Which is why I said "personally" and not "professionally" - the d'ivil is in de detail!

I don't tend to be in the same social circles to know him in a personal capacity. How's that prawn sandwich?

:p

Ho hum, boom boom - funny man!

I think anyone who knows me knows I am about as far removed from the prawn sambos as it gets - I am more a hang sanwich man with a mug o tae.

We do what we have to, to make the right things happen - if that means now and again doing a bit of hob knobbing then it is a small price :D

Advertisement