Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fringe Area Wireless Broadband Access in the country

Options
  • 23-10-2006 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi ,
    I wonder if anyone is in the know about 5Ghz Wireless broadband. I'm due an install this week but think I may be on finge reception.

Firstly , what standard antenna do the wireless providers tend to use. Do they have a standard antenna they use for all installations whereby if you are just outside the range , they just say tough. or will they give you an increased gain antenna to get you on..

Same question.. coaxial ..

Has anyone just done the installation & just phoned them for config / password details.

do the providers use terrain analysis software before they come out or is it done on a suck it & see premise?

any info on or off the forum would be appreciated..

Bob

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Firstly , what standard antenna do the wireless providers tend to use. Do they have a standard antenna they use for all installations whereby if you are just outside the range , they just say tough. or will they give you an increased gain antenna to get you on..

Same question.. coaxial ..

depends on competence of installer TBH.
    Has anyone just done the installation & just phoned them for config / password details.
    no , they use their own installers.
    do the providers use terrain analysis software before they come out or is it done on a suck it & see premise?
    yes, they would use radio mobile or similar to figure out who is 'acceptable ' terrain wise .

wexford has over 4 possible carriers, skytel, permanet (they are 3.5ghz) and callidus/ifatelecom and ibb + others too

Can only speak of a permanet install in north wexford last week for my brother.
    Very quick-phoned on friday and they installed on monday.
    They used a flat panel unit as he's near the tx and used co ax down to the modem.
    They use a mesh aerial similar to the old mmds ones for areas further out.

They operated on a call out and see basis and as it turns out, they were getting signal in the garden on the ground.
    The flat panel and the mesh aerial both have a psu connected to enhance the signal.

Advertisement