Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3meg wireless or 1meg wired?

Options
  • 23-10-2006 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    In apartment in Dublin city centre. Gonna use BB for skype, xbox live & some light browsing.

The options are
    1) Digiweb metro lite, €20 p/m, 1meg
    2) Digiweb metro, €35 p/m, 3meg
    3) BT Broadband&Talk, €35 p/m, 1 meg

What would be the best option? I've read alot of guys having trouble with wireless products. Option 1) scores really high for cost but would we get anywhere near 1meg in actuality? We can't get NTL BB which would've been perfect.

So, does anyone have digiweb metro around the Charlemont St/Barge Pub area of Dublin?

Or would we be better off to take the safe wired option?

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should really compare the BT product without calls included as neither of the digiweb options have calls included. BT's 3Mb broadband and line rental is €40 a month, which compares well with Metro 3Mb at €35 a month.

I'd prefer a wired option personally as a lot of wireless products seem to suffer with speed drops and the like. That's just something I've noticed in threads around here and from talking to people who have used wireless broadband. Metro does seem to be quite reliable though with very few people complaining about it. Digiweb's cap policy being the biggest problem there.

The upload speed would be important for both VOIP and Xbox live. I don't think the 1Mb products are really suitable (especially for Xbox live). BT 3Mb has a 384kb upload, I don't know what's on Metro 3Mb. I'd let that be a major deciding factor in choosing one.

edit: Since you're in an apartment then putting up the Metro aerial may not be an option. Also line of sight is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Cheers Jor-el,
    I know the products are different but I suppose it was just a way of trying to compare what seemed available.

I think we'll just have to bite the bullet and get the BT 2meg €40 p/m line.

Ho hum.

Thanks,
    Quad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

quad_red wrote:
    BT 2meg €40 p/m line.
    With 256k upload on that you should be OK for Xbox live and VOIP, though both at the same time could be problematic. Just checked and Metro 3M has a 512k upload speed, which would be nice.

My first post should have said €50 for the BT 3M product too, not €40. That's the 2M price, as you seem to already know.

Do you already have an eircom line in the apartment and can you check if broadband is available to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

We have run online PC game (guildwars) on two PCs, two PCs Skype* and PS2 online all same time on 3M/512K Metro. Phone Calls to other Metro users free and calls elsewhere reasonable. No phone line rental.

*(the team of 4 at three locations, all coincidently using Metro, using Skype VOIP to co-ordinate their efforts)

Yeah Jor El, there was an eircom phone line into the apt before we moved in. It ain't connected now but I got the old number off the management agency and it checks out on BT, Smart (:rolleyes: ) etc.

Money is tight at the mo so that's why the €20 metro product appealed. But, as has been pointed out, with a wireless product (even the 3meg metro) it's hard to know what sort of download/upload you're going to get in actuality even if you're in a covered area. And paying for installation etc. and going on a contract to find you can't use it for what you wanted it for blows.

Watty, if you don't mind me asking, what part of town were you guys in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The biggest problem you face is that Metro needs to put an aerial on the outside side wall (with line of sight to the transmitter), most apartment block management companies don't allow this.

bk wrote:
    The biggest problem you face is that Metro needs to put an aerial on the outside side wall (with line of sight to the transmitter), most apartment block management companies don't allow this.

Yeah. Well, a load of other apartments have burglar alarm boxes outside and the metro aerial looks exactly the same according to the Metro website.

But the line of sight thing is the clincher. I asked them on the phone where the transmitter was exactly and she just fluffed me off. Given that our apartment faces inwards on a courtyard, I seriously doubt we'd have line of sight.

Ho-hum.

Advertisement