Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor Fan in Bathroom

Options
  • 23-10-2006 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Would be grateful for any advice/experience in relation to the above.

Have tried all different types of paint to stop peeling from ceiling in addition to having the window opening when having showers but with little success.

Have people experience of installing an extraction/ventilation system, are there good/bad systems out there, Is this a job for a plumber or an electrician, and how much would one expect to pay.

Any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I had a similar problem in my last house. I got one of those fans that comes on when you turn on the light and then runs on for about 10-15 mins after the light is turned off. Worked a treat and sorted out excessive condensation. The fan cost about €30 -€40, iirc and my father in law who is a sparks fitted it for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

when you are painting over previously damp areas you will need to make sure that the surface is prepared properly otherwise the new paint will just flake off again.

There are some very good paints that you can get that are designed to stop condensation forming on them, but unless you clean/prepare the surface it probably wont work.
    You will need to remove the current paint (thats loose/flaky) and let it all dry fully before you start the new stuff.

An open window should do the trick though

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Hi Demps - I had a similar problem.
    Suggest you get a fan similar to any of the ones on the attached link:

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/17-0000

You should be able to get one in B&Q, Chadwicks, any half decent hardware store or builders providers etc. They aren't that hard to wire in but if you're not too nacky a sparks should be it as a nixer for about €50 (only will take 30 mins max). You can mount if into the vent in the bathroom wall which should already be to an external vent (and will save you knocking a hole in your wall or ceiling)

Also Dulux do a specific Bathroom paint in a range of colours that has a moisture and steam resistant formula to withstand high condensation.

This coupled with leaving the window opening when showering should sort out all your problems - on the proviso that you prepared the walls & celings correctly before painting - ie make sure they are bone dry and sanded.

Demps wrote:
    Would be grateful for any advice/experience in relation to the above.

Have tried all different types of paint to stop peeling from ceiling in addition to having the window opening when having showers but with little success.

Have people experience of installing an extraction/ventilation system, are there good/bad systems out there, Is this a job for a plumber or an electrician, and how much would one expect to pay.

Any feedback appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I have the same problem. Repainted with oil based paint solved it, though you can get antifungal paint aswell. We have an extractor but its not enough so I'm thinking of installing a 2nd one extracting out through the same vent in the roof.

Advertisement