Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got Shunted

Options
  • 23-10-2006 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I got shunted on Saturday in my 04 Accord by a woman in a people carrier, she was doing about 40mph and just went straight into the back of me, which of course caused me to go into the back of the guy in front.

The bang and impact was horrific and everyting went into Matrix style 'bullet time' for a while!

I will be getting my car fixed by Honda as new but of course it will affect my resale. There should be some additional compenstaion for this built into the insurance payout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

mcloughl wrote:
    I got shunted on Saturday in my 04 Accord by a woman in a people carrier, she was doing about 40mph and just went straight into the back of me, which of course caused me to go into the back of the guy in front.

The bang and impact was horrific and everyting went into Matrix style 'bullet time' for a while!

I will be getting my car fixed by Honda as new but of course it will affect my resale. There should be some additional compenstaion for this built into the insurance payout.

There should be but, unfortunatley there isn't. How much damage is there to your Accord. A 40MPH impact would probably write it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mcloughl

waiting for Garage to ring me back. If the chassis is bent then its bye bye baby!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I agree with you about the insurance.

But listen, you walked away from a serious road accident and since you haven't mentioned any injuries, it was just metal and paint that was damaged. If you were lying in intensive care with all sorts of monitors and things hanging out of you, all the insurance in the world would be little comfort to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Similar happened to me a few years back.
    I think insurance only pays depreciation if the car is less than 12 months old.

Most important thing is that everyone is okay.

You could get an estimate and then trade it in 'as is'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

mcloughl wrote:

You have to sue the drivers insurance company yourself for it. You will get 10% of the cost of repairs.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

MrP is correct, I had an accident a while back and was paid the 10% of the repair cost.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Not wanting to sound like an ambulance chaser, I would get a test for whip-lash if I were you as sometimes it won't show up until weeks after the original accident. It rarely ever manfiests itself at the time of the accident.

They do a test in the Blackrock Clinic for it now. Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

If she hit the rear of your car at 40 mph there must be chassis damage! I would have serious doubts over the Accord now and would be looking to write it off.

On the plus side, you weren't hurt and as such the car done its job (to protect you). As Dyflin said, it's only metal and paint. Get rid of it and get yourself another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

A 40mph impact will more than likely have caused chassis damage or at the least sub frame damage. If so theres a high likelihood it will be written off but unforunately you will only get the book value of the car.

Advertisement