Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent Attacks- Sligo Town

Options
  • 23-10-2006 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

hi im a new student in Sligo IT and was just wondering what people think of all these attacks on women in sligo town??is this a regualr occurence??are the police doing anything about this??should i be majorly worried or what???thanks peeps!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Hey, welcome to Sligo.
    They just caught the guy who did those attacks, he was Polish in his late 20s. What a b@stard.
    The place is fairly safe, although I still wouldn't walk home on my own after a night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

There was two women raped on West Gardens (between Harmony Hill and High Street) about two years ago, and as far as I know, they never caught anybody.
    I even heard a fifteen year old kid bragging about how his brother raped some guys sister. He was roaring it down the street and going into detail. His brother is in prison for the crime, but it shows the mentality among some of the scumbags.
    I don't believe Sligo is safe. Many people will say it is, but the true test is as Madge said. Would you walk home alone at night? I think most people would not. Some people think it's safe because they're used to it. I think it's dangerous because I'm used to it. Depends how you look at it.
    I work in town at night, and I think alot of people would be shocked to see how bad it is. You can be lucky and never see anything, but it's there. I didn't notice too much when I was younger and with a few drinks on board, but when you see it every night when you're sober, it can be shocking and sickening to see the trouble involving both drunken revellers and teenagers, as well as boy racers tearing around in souped up hatch backs.
    If my fiance goes into Tesco at night, I usually get her to phone me when she gets back to the car. She locks her doors driving through town. It's not paranoia, even though some might think so. Just being cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

To be fair you'd see the same in Letterkenny (the violence i mean!).

Sligo has improved a lot in the last few years in my experience. Still though you should always be vigilant!

I think it hasn't really improved. There's just a redirection of journalistic concentration. If you see what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

il gatto wrote:
    I think it hasn't really improved. There's just a redirection of journalistic concentration. If you see what I mean.

I disagree. Apart from ongoing feuds there is little serious trouble unless you are invovle in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Ive never been fearful walking through Sligo town late at night , maybe thats stupidity on my part but thats the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Madge wrote:
    Hey, welcome to Sligo.
    They just caught the guy who did those attacks, he was Polish in his late 20s. What a b@stard.
    The place is fairly safe, although I still wouldn't walk home on my own after a night out!

Fraid im gonna have to disagree, there was a girl raped in ENVY toilets while that Polish scumbag was in jail.

Girls - dont walk home alone. Its just not safe :mad:

I've heard that the recent rape case in getting major scrutiny from the cops, and that the alledged rapist is not being persued (as in it's a false accusation). I've heard that anyway. I still think the town is an extremely dangerous place at night, both for women and young men. Anyone really, but especially those two groups. Like I said, if you've been unmolested by thugs and scumbags, you've been lucky. Long may it last.

I don't like bumping up old threads, but rather than start another thread on the same topic, I've posted here.
    In the past couple of weeks, two more women have been raped in Sligo town. Both attacks were unconnected to previous assaults. One girl accepted a lift on Church Hill and was attacked by two men, two weekends ago. Another girl was raped on St. Bridgits last weekend.
    I don't want to spread fear in the town. I'm just bringing it to your attention. So be careful and tell your friends and family likewise.
    In another incident, a staff member in McCormacks 24hr filling station on Pearse road was stabbed in the shoulder a few nights ago. There was also another stabbing in town about two weeks ago. A Guard mentioned it to me, but I've heard nothing since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

yes gatto, I read it in the papers. What I want to know is why is there no guards patrolling the streets at night??

• Advertisement

They're out the road catching Jimmy Two Pints for drink driving or warming their buttocks on the radiator in the barracks. Or just as likely, they've diddled the roster so their off duty. Happens alot. They put X amount on the rota, and then some take the night off, leaving shag all on duty. I rang one night about a power line down on the road at Drumfin. They told me they'd send THE car out. WTF There's only one to cover the county?:confused:

Advertisement