Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building using Project Manager

Options
  • 23-10-2006 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Would be grateful for any advice/experience in relation to the above.

Have people experience of using a skilled intermediary between You and Your contractors. I.e. someone who represents Your interests and manages Your build.
    I am interested in going this route for a self-build as I imagine that it would be a pressure reliever as well as ensuring that the build is a quality job.

Have heard can cost anything between 2,500 to 15,000 Euro depending on complexity and input – so it doesn’t come cheap! Although on the positive side have heard of project managers earning their own cost in savings and efficiencies elsewhere.

Any feedback and actual experience appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Demps,
    I could imagine the benefit of having someone like that alright, I was lucky in that I had a little knowledge and my dad was there as foreman but you really would want someone who is competent is a good number of areas, that could be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

I went the opposite route and regretted it. Long story short I got a bro in law of a sis in law to build. Thought that as an engineer (albeit a mech) I would have no probs ensuring a proper build, and that he wouldn't screw me over as he was related sort of. But work commitments restricted me in getting to the site more than just at the weekends. And practically left to his own devices he did a sh1te job...

And more fool me I paid up before I started the second fix myself. Then I found the problems, uneven floors, excess skim at bottom of walls, missing insulation ...

Overall he got me for about 10k over his quote, I've lost track of the cost of other small jobs that I've had to do.
    Definitely go with the PM, esp if your a soft touch:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Corner Back

I was lucky like yop and had my father on site every day. Otherwise I dont think I'd be finished yet. In my experience you need someone who is good at dealing with trades rather than someone who is a skilled tradesman themselves. I know the main problem was getting the trades to turn up and keeping them there. I had no problems with the standard of work as I had most of the trades recommended to me by people who had used them in the past.

Advertisement