Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play game in a window

Options
  • 23-10-2006 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I bought Caesar IV at the weekend, and it's absolutely killing my machine (the machine is less than a year old, but I didn't bother with top-notch back when). Even with everything set to low/off, the lag is fairly crippling and making the game unplayable. I was hoping I could set it running in a small window (say the size of the cmd window or a little bigger, 80x25?) and that way I could play at top detail, but
    a) I don't know if this is even possible to do, I can't find the option to make a windows game run in a small window
    b) I don't know if it would make any major difference, as I can imagine it would still be a huge resource hog.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

pressing alt and enter together should switch between window and full screen. this might not work though, as some games disable windows shortcut keys...
    you'll need to lower the resolution to the lowest setting in the game's video options to get it running in a smaller window though (there's a chance that the lowest option is 800x600, which would be a fairly large window)
    you're better off just running it in fullscreen tbh, most games will run like crap in a window unless they're actually designed to do so (like WoW)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Most of the games I've resorted to running in a window have been fine to be honest.

One of the things you can try if it does not allow running in a window is get the properties of the exe or shortcut and enable that shortcut combo if running XP becuase sometimes they disable it there so you can get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

brim4brim wrote:
    Most of the games I've resorted to running in a window have been fine to be honest.

One of the things you can try if it does not allow running in a window is get the properties of the exe or shortcut and enable that shortcut combo if running XP becuase sometimes they disable it there so you can get around it.
    But where are the options to run in a window? The only window options I can see on my shortcut are 'normal', 'minimized', 'maximized'. None of those are any good obviously. What am I missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

I believe it's minimized.

Advertisement