Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband + website Problem...

Options
  • 23-10-2006 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am having a real weird problem..... not sure if it is broadband provider or web site I irishjobs.ie....both are blaming each other.

I cannot get on to www.irishjobs.ie

I can get on very other web site under the sun both business and pleasure, but cannot get on to Irishjobs.ie

I was on to irishjobs helpdesk and they say, there is no problem with my account and checked it out.....

They say they problem is on my side, so I contacted my internet provider which is outside ireland, and they say no problem.

when I try to go on to irishjobs.ie i get the message you get when you go on to a www that does not exist.

I reset my defaluts settings in explorer...and that did not fix it.
    So any ideas on how to fix this.....

Its really strange

any ideas to fix this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Hi Millionaire,

Have you tried to get at the site using another browser like FIREFOX? [ Look for in Google, dload and try ]

Is this a secure site area you are trying to get at? Try a bank site or other secure sites which may use applets that are being disallowed.

Have you a firewall installed? Disable and try the site. May need to tweak same if this is the prob.

IE7 is now out, try that?

thats off the top of my head at mo,
    Cheers
    Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Hi Millionaire,

However, have you tried going to the site using it's IP? If that works it could be a DNS issue.

This is probably more a Computers/Tech or Nets/Comms issue than broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

try pinging the site from your PC on that internet connection.

actually, i just tried that and am unable to ping the site although I can still access it from here (BT Ireland DSL) via both domain name and IP address, but as WizZard says, can you get to the site from the IP address he posted?

try this link:http://www.webwarper.net/ww/www.irishjobs.ie/

if you can get the site via webwarper then it's up and running and there's possibly an issue with your ISP's DNS records preventing you from accessing the site directly.

another possible explanation is that the web host for irishjobs has had problems with users (DoS attacks, SPAM etc.) on your ISP's IP range and has blocked it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

hi lads

apologies if I posted in wrong forum, I am not techie too much.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far....

Here is what I have done....

I have an account on irish jobs but I cannot even get on to home page www.irishjobs.ie so lets take it from getting the home page up in browser for a start.

1. Clean up disc, rebooted PC etc.
    2. Tried to connect by googling....failed to work.
    3. Tested secure sites, like my bank account, and login no problems to secure bank of ireland site.
    4. Tried to get on site with IP address 159.134.94.102...failed to work
    did Ping test (not I know what that means and got this...)
    32 bytes of data

Packets: Sent =4 Received = 0 lost =4 (100% lost)

any idea what this means or any clues???

5. Installed Firefox and tried www.irishjobs.ie and also IP address ...both failed to work
    6. Tried http://www.webwarper.net/ww/www.irishjobs.ie/...failed to work
    7. Downed 2 Valliumn, working nicely, which stops me taking sledge hammer to PC.
    8. I live between Ireland and Asia and am with the biggest net provider here got strong internet and a very decent IT set up, so I emailed and called network provider TTT, and they said they would check this out...but no news back yet.

So I am not sure what to do!

As I said I can down load any www either for work or leisure no probs and net is working away fast and fine.

Now a few days back irishjobs.ie was down for a day...but all other people I know who use it can get on to it, irishjobs can access my account...but I cannot even get the home page in my browser!

Any other ideas.

Thanks so far!

G

Hey Millionaire,

The one thing you did not mention is FIREWALLS. How do you connect to the net? Is it via a Router of some sort? That is - is their a network cable from the back of your PC to a router? If so, have you had a look at yur routers Firewall settings - most routers have a built in Firewall. Some will have a simple slider based switch to go from off to medium to high security. If you have a firewalled router try turning off the firewall function temporarily and see if that is the problem. If it is you will have to tweak the firewall settings [ a case of RTFM - read the f***ing manual :) ]. If you dont have the manual Google for it.

Have you got access to a laptop with a network port? If so, AND if you have a router, try plugging the laptop into the router and see if you can access IRISHJOBS from said laptop. If that works - the problem may be at your PC OR if that does not work its the Router/Firewall, DNS Issue [ Domain Name Server ] or beyond.

Maybe pop up a quick list of your setup, it may help

Cheers
    Aidan

PS - A Domain Name Server translates website real names to IP Addresses - its the latter that the Web understands. If somehow a site name like IRISH JOBS is not being resolved properly, then it will not show up. Some routers recieve DNS info automatically from your ISP [ Who may host DNS servers, which have IP addresses themselves ]. Most routers also facilitate entering in actual DNS server addresses rather than recieving them remotely.

• Advertisement

hi aidan

I will ask my buddy about the firewalls as he is a bit more tuned in on that end of things than me.

In the mean time, this is the set up

Today I just got a new PC and router set up.

Router is NETGEAR Super Wireless ADSL Modem Router with 4 port 10/100 Mbps switch DG834GT.

Now on my older set up which was laptop into router the other day, I could not get irishjobs anyway.

The new ste up the PC is with a cable plugged direct into new router...the laptop is wireless connected.

The reason for this is I use or intend to use to PC for my www.blueface.ie VOIP calls to ireland, and have an ASP online database application. The VOIP lads tell me if I connect with cable to router, and have less applications open the VOIP calls will be of better quality. as opposed when I was using VOIP on the lap top, having a database and Outlook with email attachments coming in, and other applications open.

The laptop has MSoutlook open for emails, if I need to look at a clients web site, web browsing, and playing some music while I am not on the phone.

So Goal of this new set up is to improve VOIP call quality, and increase database speed.

My buddy who live across the road got a lap top and PC both working off the Wifi.., apparently the router can carry up to 32 computes on wifi and over 200 on the lan.

Net wise we got 1024/512 kbps coming in or something similar, which is good, and the power/connection is good.

As I said last week with just the laptop doing all the work and VOIP calls through a crap little home use router...all was working find and i could get onto irishjobs.ie no problem. as I said irishjobs crashed for a few hours last week and since then i cannot even get on home page.

irishjobs got 1000s of candidates and clients and i am the only one who cannot even get onto the home page never mind the login page....hence them thinking problem is on my end...somwhere...so I believe them!

Thanks

G

Hi Millionaire,

"Router is NETGEAR Super Wireless ADSL Modem Router with 4 port 10/100 Mbps switch DG834GT."

This is your router? -
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/AGDualBandWirelessRouters/DG834GT.aspx

The blurb on security states:

"True Firewall using Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Intrusion Control features Denial of Service protection from hacker attacks, while VPN (Virtual Private Network) pass-through permits secure access to your office or corporate network and enables you to host VPN services. Content filtering lets you control access to inappropriate web sites and limit usage by time of day. Logs browsing activities and provides optional e-mail alerts so you can monitor access. DMZ support allows unrestricted access from the Internet to one computer "

So you have a Firewall. You should be able to access the Firewall settings via the Browser by typing the Routers IP Address in the address bar of your browser and pressing enter. This will present the routers Web Admin page.

From the manual which you can get here:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/dg834gt_manual.pdf

Page 3-9 states that the default IP of your router is 192.168.0.1 - type http://192.168.0.1 into your browsers address bar and enter. If a Username / Password box pops up the default is - Username: admin, Password: password, click ok. [ That is if the u/name & p/word were'nt changed ]

Once in to the Router Web Admin you should see a menu of sorts, Firewall will be an option directly or maybe under a Security option. Somewhere in here you should be able to disable the firewall. You will probably have to save the change to take affect Then test the Irish Jobs site. To put the Firewall back on follow the same proceedure as above but turn the firewall back on.

Without the router in fromt of me, this is as far as I can go.

If your portable via WIFI and then via the router cannot get to the site either, more than likely it is a firewall issue.

Cheers
    Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 abcd

Two tests to try and track down the problem.

If you post the output of the following commands, we may be able to help.

You'll need to open a command prompt to do this (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt)

Test if you can get the correct IP address from your name server by typing
    nslookup www.irishjobs.ie

Trace the route from your PC to www.irishjobs.ie to see where the problem may be
    tracert 159.134.94.102

If you don't know already, you can copy and paste from a command prompt window by clicking the "C:\" icon in the upper-left corner of the window and then choosing Edit->Mark from the menu that appears. Select the part you want to copy, and then hit the enter key. The text is now copied and ready to paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Try to access it from this site aswell to get around any blockages that may be preventing access.
    http://www.unblockthis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

quick thing to try if you haven't already is to power off the router and restart it.

• Advertisement

Hi Lads

Thanks for all the help. I was really pushing my ISP, which is a massive Eircom style company.

Anyway my net crashed for about 2 hours today, so I called up support, now remember I am based alot of the year in Thailand, and got "ok sir network down sir, wait 1 hour ,all be ok kap "

So I head butted the wall about 20 times, tried to run my motor bike over the neighbours cat, and considered choking out a Buddhist Monk I saw on the street for fun.

See Thailand is very frustrating to do business in , as Thais due to culture cannot admit to bring wrong....they white lie to cover it up to "save face"....so its not like ireland...."listen sorry, we screwed up, apologies, we will give you 2 months free access to make amends"

So I came home, and after I kicked a massive dog from my front gate, I came in and my miracle of Lourdes or Fatima....all of a sudden irishjobs.ie and the login page come up no problem!!!!

So I was in contact with irishjobs engineer, just to close out, and he suspects it was the ISP all along, due to the "miracle"!

Thanks again lads.

and if you ever need to hear who is hiring in the support/networking/field eng area, PM me and I ll tell you whats about.

Cheers

Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Thais due to culture cannot admit to bring wrong....they white lie to cover it up to "save face"....so its not like ireland...."listen sorry, we screwed up, apologies"
    Crikey....you must be abroad for years; most big companies and politicians dumped that "sorry, we screwed up" approach as soon as the Celtic Tiger kicked in!

So if you are back home, you should be well used to the new culture....

Advertisement