Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Defence write the Observer

Options
  • 23-10-2006 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Those plucky fellows, youth defence, appear have published their own observer, in which they strike back at the real Observer by apologising to themselves (read it and it makes sense). Anyone else laugh their hole off at this?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yep, was handed to me at the bus stop this evening around 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

There's about three clear cases of libel in it (University Observer, Ivana Bacik, MRBI) I think it's pathetic to be honest, and a huge waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It might have had some value if it was printed on softer paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

I hope they are sued out of their tiny little minds....

The Observer should deffo go on a case, ditto with MRBI. Bacik probably won't, she'll take the high moral ground as a politician I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

They tried to give it to me but I didn't take it.
    Didn't know it was the YDers though. Would've had a great chat with them.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

TheVan wrote:
    I hope they are sued out of their tiny little minds....

The Observer should deffo go on a case, ditto with MRBI. Bacik probably won't, she'll take the high moral ground as a politician I'd say.
    I doubt that Bacik can sue, as it was satire, like you'd see in the Phoenix magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

They probably can't be sued as there's nothing official on the "paper" saying it was produced by YD. They'll probably deny it and have probably covered their tracks as well.

Although - A reporter from the Tribune rang the YD Head Office, didn't identify himself, and said he wanted to talk about a pamphlet that was circulating. The receptionist said "Oh, are you from UCD?" before he had said anything about what pamphlet it was or where it was being circulated. Dunno if that's admissable proof of guilt but it confirms what everyone knows already as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just the sort of thing to make me angry getting on my bus home. YD make my blood boil.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I doubt that Bacik can sue, as it was satire, like you'd see in the Phoenix magazine.
    Nah, it's not satire. It would need to refer to itself as a satirical publication for that to work.

Don't think that defence would work. It purported to be the Observer, from using the motto (or what looked like it) to a similar font etc.

There is a reason (believe it or not!), the Turbine has "its satire stupid!" on it every week!

• Advertisement

Nah, it's not satire. It would need to refer to itself as a satirical publication for that to work.
    The article was written by "A. Spoofer". I would qualify that as satire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What was written in this paper?
    They obviously thought better of giving it out in the terrace.

True, but you had to read carefully to get that. I think they crossed the line in purporting to be satire. Phoenix is blatantly satire with cartoon speech bubbles on the cover.
    Panda100 wrote:

Cos we're living in fear of the terrace

panda100 wrote:
    What was written in this paper?
    The guy who handed it to me flew by, practically threw it at me, I'd say they wanted to get out as many as possible without getting caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Ah Yewt Defednse... pack-o-tossrags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

love it they make this grand bit statement and dont have the balls to stand behind it......typical

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

We're getting very hot under the collar about it aren't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I could have (grudgingly) admired the gesture if the mock paper had been done with an ounce of style or real wit, but as it stood the whole thing was so bad, and made pro-lifers look so stupid I was half-tempted to believe it was a false flag operation.

Might not be too difficult to prove what group was responsible for the stunt though, the newsletter was obviously printed professionally and there’s only so many companies that could have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I wish I could have seen a copy of that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

i thought it actually was the observer:p

granted i read the headline and put it down

but boy am i scarleh now:D

• Advertisement

I wish I could have seen a copy of that...
    I have one in my locker (keeping it for someone) so ask me if you see me and I'll show you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

What I thought was best about it was that it was wrong....that thing on the back page about 'top ten reasons to like unborn babies' or whatever...no. 1 being that they have no rights...when in fact they do. The right to life, if I'm not mistaken, at least in this country. Whoopsies, YD, not so clever...

elmyra wrote:
    What I thought was best about it was that it was wrong....that thing on the back page about 'top ten reasons to like unborn babies' or whatever...no. 1 being that they have no rights...when in fact they do. The right to life, if I'm not mistaken, at least in this country. Whoopsies, YD, not so clever...

i always thought that the problem was that the constitution does not define at what point something becomes a human being and thus gets all those rights

maybe im wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

I found one outside 911 last night, I thought it was just ridiculous. Rather than officially complain to the paper about the article they decide to resort to childish name-calling in this ridiculous "publication". YD should be extremely ashamed, they've completely let down their entire organisation and now look like a big farce. Join me as we point and laugh at their sorry, cowardice asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The problem is when the rights of the mother and the unborn child conflict and question arises of which should take precedent.

There obviously needs to be rights to have a conflict in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Red Alert wrote:
    We're getting very hot under the collar about it aren't we?
    we sure are. wonder why that is;)

Sangre wrote:
    The problem is when the rights of the mother and the unborn child conflict and question arises of which should take precedent.

There obviously needs to be rights to have a conflict in the first place.

ahh coolies;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Tbh I thought it was better than the observer normally is. Twas laminated, kept the rain off better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Garret wrote:
    i always thought that the problem was that the constitution does not define at what point something becomes a human being and thus gets all those rights
    Isn't that case about the seperated couple, the woman of which wanted to use the man's frozen sperm to undergo IVF, still in the High Court trying to wrangle that point out?

Also, doesn't the first reason in the Top 10 Reasons thing Elmyra mentioned seem a bit satirical, rather than just stupid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

This stunt proves one thing for me.

YD are not a serious pro-life outfit. They are a defamation outfit, an organisation motivated simply by hatred for the pro-choice lobby, and for anyone they see as connected with it.

The fake Observer was not a pro-life pamphlet, but an expensive, time-consuming hate-mail campaign. It does nothing with respect to the abortion debate; it merely calls names and blows raspberries in the most juvenile way possible.

Pro-life politics are merely an excuse for YD to make character slurs against the opponents of the real pro-life lobby.

If it weren't abortion, it'd be something else. They are not fighting for the lives of aborted foetuses. They do aborted children a greater injustice than pro-choice lobbyists supposedly do, by making them an equivocal motivation, using them as a mere pawn in the furtherance of their own goals. They are fighting for themselves, and they just want a scrap, to scratch, bite and sting as much as possible, to do as much damage as they can, on the way to the bottom of the barrel.

I think we should recognise the fake Observer for what it is; not another hard-hitting assault by one of the players in the abortion debate, but something which has little enough to do with abortion, which has more to do with a facile, arbitrary vendetta between a group of people which let's face it, isn't that large.

It's like something out of the Beano. The Toffs and the Geordies, with their banal history of inexplicable opponentship. It's comedy, without the funny part.

Advertisement