Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

question on Cables and connections TV-DVD

• 23-10-2006 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to wire up My TV, DVD and Sky box. I have the Tosh WL66, a Sony DavZ111 DVD and a regular Sky Box. I was going to use component cables to hook the TV and DVD together and a scart from Sky direct to TV and from Sky to DVD another scart so I can hear the sound from Sky via the DVD amp.

DVD uses component but has 1 scart
    TV has 2 scarts and component

First does that sound ok in terms of setting it up

What type of component cables do I need. I say RGB component cables in Maplins but they also had more expensive ones. Are their different types of component cables. Also I assume I need 2 audio cables too as there are 5 slots. 3 video and 2 audio. That right?

Thanks in advance

I have 2 HDMI but not getting a HDMI DVD player yet as I want to use the 5.1 sound via the Sony DVD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I'm not very familiar with sky boxes, but as long as it has two SCART outputs, it sounds perfectly feasible to me.

As for component video, there are a number of different kinds of component video formats, including S-video, RGB and YPbPr, but that doesn't really matter. I presume the three component video connectors on your TV and DVD player are RCA connectrors*. If this is the case, then technically any coaxial cable with RCA connectors will carry the signal. You can even try it using cheap, skinny audio cables, and it'll work, but it might look pretty freaky. Get some decent cables (don't be conned into overspending on the "premium" cables) that say "component video" on the box and have standard RCA connectors on the cables, and you won't go wrong.

Advertisement