Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Stay

Options
  • 23-10-2006 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.

I'll be visiting Cork City on Friday 10th November, for a soccer match at Turner's Cross.

I'm looking for some suggestions on a place to stay, that would be convenient for getting to Turner's Cross Stadium, and also then out in the best parts of the city itself.

I'm flying down from Dublin with Ryanair, arriving at 09.45, and I'm leaving the next day at 17.25. It would help if the places recommended were accessable to the airport by Public Transport, or not so far as to make a Taxi fare too expensive.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

seansouth wrote:
    Hi.

I'll be visiting Cork City on Friday 10th November, for a soccer match at Turner's Cross.

I'm looking for some suggestions on a place to stay, that would be convenient for getting to Turner's Cross Stadium, and also then out in the best parts of the city itself.

I'm flying down from Dublin with Ryanair, arriving at 09.45, and I'm leaving the next day at 17.25. It would help if the places recommended were accessable to the airport by Public Transport, or not so far as to make a Taxi fare too expensive.

Thanks for the help.

jurys inn or any of the hotels in the city would be best. the cross is only ten mins walk from the city or just hop on the number 3 bus. There is a new bus service from the airport to all the major hotels in the city i think its only 5 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

johncm wrote:
    jurys inn or any of the hotels in the city would be best. the cross is only ten mins walk from the city or just hop on the number 3 bus. There is a new bus service from the airport to all the major hotels in the city i think its only 5 euro.

city centre to/from the airport was about 10-15 euro by taxi iirc. So the bus is slightly cheaper, but even a taxi isnt that bad. I prefer the taxi cause I am impatient and dont want to wait for the bus nor find out that my hotel was the very last on its list of stops :P

As for places to stay, there are some hostels in the city centre, its my understanding they arent that badly priced. Other places for one night tend to run 50-90 euro a night, which may be more than you were looking for, but it affords more privacy, something I was looking for when I last was in temporary housing in cork.

You may find that some of the B&Bs are cheaper than some of the hotels. http://www.cork-guide.ie/corkcity.htm has some hotels, B&Bs and all that so you might be able to find something more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Travelodge is a the end of the airport hill, within walking distance of Turners Cross grounds. The bus would probably drop you across the road, but a taxi would be cheaper. The walk Turners Cross would take 15mins, all in a perfectly straight line so no chance of getting lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Can't see the man walking from Travelodge to Turners Cross to be honest! Would have to cross the magic roundabout and walk up the dual carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Eh I live in Frankfield and have often walked to Turners Cross. Its a simple walk from the Travelodge. Takes no more than 10 or 15 minutes and its footpath all the way along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

There is pedestrian lights and the like but is it sign posted? Tbh Jury's or somewhere in the city centre might be a better bet. You can get a bus out to the match where getting a taxi late at night in town can be a pain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Black Ash to Turner's Cross is a ten minute walk along the Kinsale Road, fifteen if you're unlucky with the pedestrian lights. Here's a map:

http://url.ie/2aa

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I did indeed Dave, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Crawfords guest house on western road is very nice. Best breakfast around and jacuzzi in rooms 021427900

• Advertisement
Advertisement