Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing and paying Tax

Options
  • 23-10-2006 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Can anyone send me in the right direction (link of otherwise) for paying tax when selling on a car for profit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I just did this in taxation class today! :) I presume you mean that you arent a trader. If you're an indivual selling on a car at a profit you are exempt from capital gains tax because cars are regarded as a wasting asset to the revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

SGKM wrote:
    I just did this in taxation class today! :) I presume you mean that you arent a trader. If you're an indivual selling on a car at a profit you are exempt from capital gains tax because cars are regarded as a wasting asset to the revenue.

I'm sure you have to pay something....You couldnt keep doing it and get away without paying any capital gains / tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ronanom wrote:
    I'm sure you have to pay something....You couldnt keep doing it and get away without paying any capital gains / tax...
    You would then be a trader and subject to a different regime.

If its a one off, not one of a series, there is no CGT.

Question, did you do any major improvements or is it an antique?

Advertisement