Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Whatever Happened to the Rockstars'

• 23-10-2006 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Watching TV today, flicking through the channels about 6pm, and was a little taken back to see Mr Meatloaf on a Strictly Come Dancing Program:eek: . Not only is this a shock to the system, but the fact that the host congragulated 'Meat' on doing his homework before he came in (he knew as much as the host easily) was an embarrasment. This is just the most recent in a long line of 'Rockstar Cameos' that makes me believe the genre is watering itself down.

I do Radio in College, and we were asked to do a Music Show today, and 8 of the 9 people in my class picked to do their show on some form of Rock Music. Bands from Cannibal Corpse to HIM and Bon Jovi were played. This proves, if nothing else, that the genre is popular and doesnt recieve the airplay it recieves (barring the promise of Phantom FM to change that) and this, I feel, leaves rockstars like Meatloaf and Axl Rose to appear on daytime and evening TV programs to tell people they're still alive

What do people think, are we in a world where shows have become so watered down that theyll choose the first gueststar they can get a hold of (Meatloaf or not), or are Rock icons and bands making the decision to appear on shows they would NEVER appear on in a cold day in hell 20 yrs ago for a little extra publicity because mainstream radio and music channels are ignoring them?:confused:

Just think about this, the curtains go up, Gay Byrne welcomes us back to the Late Late Show. Its Sep 86, and we've got a special treat, the hottest new band from North America...teenage angst dripping from their faces, Metallica! No, i dont think so either:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think it's more a difference between a guy who's worried about his public image and credibility, and a guy who thinks "hey, **** it, that looks like fun, I'll do it." I think the difference nowadays is that in the past drug addled rock stars would get sold into doing something cheesy by a record company suit who would proceed to rob all their money, whereas now they're cutting out the middleman and doing it themselves. I dunno, it's a good question as to whether bands are less credible these days.

But hey, if you're a motley crue fan, then credibility can't be one of your big worries, no? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

WTF is a rockstar anyway? Once they're a musician, I'm happy. Do you look to these people when you want a fashionable icon or when you want to hear some ear-pleasing music? You've got your priorities all wrong, it seems.

And the less we care about what Metallica would've done back in '86, the better. That shit's old hat.

Advertisement