Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Brill, I found the small pocket behind the zip. If its sticking into my back, I might just use that draw string in the shorts idea. Steep learning curve for me at the mo!

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dap75au

Yesterday Killiney was working quite nicely. I was out in the afternoon, about 10 other guys out. Rare treat to get nice east coast surf in the middle of our supposed summer. Water pretty cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Portmarnock the same, lots of experienced fella's out there.

and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

If youre a little unsure of the weather before you surf videocall 1560 365 24 7on your mobile. 3G weather with all kinds of reports, wind speed, direction wave swell etc. www.weather-call.com/video.html :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 leinsterfan

killiney worth the trip? hearing conflicting reprts, some say great on a southerly, but a friend of mine who lives out there told me it was barely ever surfable. better to head to bray??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

better to just bomb over to sligo or south donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

surfing on the east coast?....
    and here's me coming all the way west.
    btw., carrowniskey was insane today. Oh the bruises!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 leinsterfan

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    better to just bomb over to sligo or south donegal
    no wheels man. killiney by dart is doable, and maybe even bray, but is it worth it? or should i just try and get through the winter by staring at posters and waxing my boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 longboardirelan

the guy who runs mananan surf wear is based in dublin and he used to do lessons in wicklow. There was a guy from tbay doing lessons in Brittas Bay also. Do you guys bring boards on the Dart?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

I brought my longboard on the dart one time and got some funny looks. saying that I also brought my shortboard on the subway in NYC so im used to it at this stage. They didnt like it on the dart because on the way home I left a huge puddle in the cabin from my booties. Didnt realise they held so much water :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

The wave drought appears to be ending. If not hitting the west this weekend. Wicklow and Courtown looking good for Sunday and Killiney on Monday for the northerly's at low in the morn or evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 karljude

If there is anyone out there who knows of where a beginner can get some basic lessons in the Dublin area please let me know.

cheers

karl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SteviePitt

Nah you would never catch a single wave in Dollymount. Much a More in wicklow is really the only place you can surf along with Whiterock Beach Killiney Tramore Waterford ( 50 minutes from Dundrum) I was surfing at my local "surf break" which for me is Pormarnock Beach north Dublin around this time of year you''l get waves if theres a notherly swell. On Sunday evening there were glassy 4 footers rollen in with about four people out it was a beauty. Happy hunting

karljude wrote: »
    If there is anyone out there who knows of where a beginner can get some basic lessons in the Dublin area please let me know.

cheers...

Yeh try headen down to Killiney Whiterock beach you'll definitly catch a wave there if there's a southery swell (8ft)
    But for lessons you'll need to head down to Wicklow Mugh a More or I know for definite theres surf lessons in Tramore Waterford. If your from North Dublin may I suggest going to Pormarnock beach in Portmarnock.

lightening wrote: »
    Portmarnock the same, lots of experienced fella's out there.

yeh I surf Pormarnock too it's good on rare ocassions last Sunday there were 6 foot n barrels only about 4 people out aswell. hope i see you in the water some time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Thanks for the info from me too. I must learn there to surf in Dublin area to save diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

Was out in Magheramor at the wknd...Sunday was decent for about an hour until a seal tried to mate with me. Tomorrow and during the week could be good aswell. When brittas bay gets going it can be really good.

]Was out in Magheramor at the wknd...Sunday was decent for about an hour until a seal tried to mate with me. Tomorrow and during the week could be good aswell. When brittas bay gets going it can be really good

Yeh I'm thinking of heading down maybe next weekend 8ft swell and 5 ft breaking wave estimate. How big were the waves down in wicklow on Sunday? And were exactly is brittas bay

SteviePitt wrote: »
    ]Was out in Magheramor at the wknd...Sunday was decent for about an hour until a seal tried to mate with me. Tomorrow and during the week could be good aswell. When brittas bay gets going it can be really good

Yeh I'm thinking of heading down maybe next weekend 8ft swell and 5 ft breaking wave estimate. How big were the waves down in wicklow on Sunday? And were exactly is brittas bay

Hey man. Waves weren't that big but was calm enough inbetween the sets for there! Ye this week could be sweet enough..I'm down in Wicklow a good bit so will try keep you folks updated on here. Brittas bay is about 10 mins from Wicklow town...its a massive beach and can get really good this time of year, much faster wave than Maghermor.

[ Yeh if you could that would be great.
    Im in north Dublin and all the beaches here are completely flat, no northernly swell at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Lads,

My 9 year old learned to surf down in Incydoney during the summer and took to it really well. He did a 5 day course and we had to go back for a couple of extra days becuase he just wanted more time on the waves. He was switching standing up towards the end which might be as easy as anything but it looked like he was really into it and I'd like to encourage him. I did a few days lessons and enjoyed it as well but let's just say I need more practice.

I'm based in south Dublin and my lad is mad keen to get a board and good wetsuit for Xmas. Can I ask for your thoughts? He'll be 10 in the new year and is a good swimmer so should I be thinking about bringing him to Brittas Bay in Jan or not? I don't want to get him the gear then not use it until May/June, it would be cruel on him. Also, if he gets the gear I'll probably get a wetsuit and board also becuase I know he shouldn't be surfing alone and I enjoyed it anyway so I can see him getting me to bring him and then me enjoying it just as much as him.

If the concensus is he should be encouraged to do it the next question is what kit should we get and where's the best place to buy from a value for money perspective?

Regards,

Ben

My 9 year old learned to surf down in Incydoney during the summer and took to it really well. He did a 5 day course and we had to go back for a couple of extra days becuase he just wanted more time on the waves. He was switching standing up towards the end which might be as easy as

You should get him a good wide shorboard (6ft-7ft2) 2nd hand they are about 80 euro. There's tons of sailing shops in Dublin which sell very good wetsuits for a very reasonable price. Surfing Brittas Bay in January is going to be very cold I would't reccomend doing it.October and Novermber is the best time. But if he's that keen... get him a 5mm wetsuit and a good pair of booties.Dublin isn't really known for it's surfing shops so the best chance of buying a board is on ebay or magic seaweed surf shop. Maybe there's one in Wicklow I'm not sure.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Lads,

My 9 year old learned to surf down in Incydoney during the summer and took to it really well. He did a 5 day course and we had to go back for a couple of extra days becuase he just wanted more time on the waves. He was switching standing up towards the end which might be as easy as anything but it looked like he was really into it and I'd like to encourage him. I did a few days lessons and enjoyed it as well but let's just say I need more practice.

I'm based in south Dublin and my lad is mad keen to get a board and good wetsuit for Xmas. Can I ask for your thoughts? He'll be 10 in the new year and is a good swimmer so should I be thinking about bringing him to Brittas Bay in Jan or not? I don't want to get him the gear then not use it until May/June, it would be cruel on him. Also, if he gets the gear I'll probably get a wetsuit and board also becuase I know he shouldn't be surfing alone and I enjoyed it anyway so I can see him getting me to bring him and then me enjoying it just as much as him.

If the concensus is he should be encouraged to do it the next question is what kit should we get and where's the best place to buy from a value for money perspective?

Regards,

Ben

Hows it going...I got my first surf gear about 5 years ago for Christmas and went out on Stephens day with it! I was hopeless but I still loved it. On the east coast alot of the time "good surf" can be fairly stormy so just bare that in mind as he is only young...but the beaches down in Wicklow would still see a good few surfers throughout the depths of winter and you could keep an eye on him aswell.

As regards gear...I love surfing but I'm not an expert on gear. A 5/3 wet suit, gloves, hood and boots would be needed for winter surfing though! Wouldnt worry about buying a top of the range suit. Not sure on the best place for prices and that but try this:

http://www.troggs.com/

[ Yeh if you could that would be great.
    Im in north Dublin and all the beaches here are completely flat, no northernly swell at all.

Yeah cool. Killiney would prob be closest for you? Never surfed there but have seen some good pics from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

BenEadir wrote: »
    Lads,

Regards,

Ben

You could join the East Coast Surf Club, it’s not set up for kids at all but as you’d be with him he’d be ok. With membership you get a discount is at least some of the surf shops and it’s save you more than the membership.

Also they have boards, a dirty great big foam one for beginners and a few others ranging form 6’10 boards to longer 9ft + boards. I’d give you a chance to fry boards to see what you like but I’d say if you live in Dublin and are older go for a long board you’ll have fun and get out. Your sun is a different he’ll take to it quicker and any small board will be big for him anyway. Where’s loads of second hand short boards for sale but don’t get a pointy short board that will take out his eye or slash him with fins get. These arefor sale on line http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/97/66855597.html and http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/75/55599675.html will get him up and running but he’ll be looking for something like this by easter http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/57/66055157.html

Best place for him to learn is on a gentler beach like Magermore or Birttas bay in Wicklow. Haven’t surfer any North side beaches so don’t know what they are like but Killiney is a no no for him to much of a shore dump and lot of rocks at low tide which is when the surf is best. South end of bray would be worth a look.

Also for his own safety never surf Magermore on a north swell there are a lot of rip currents.

Heading down to Magheramor tomorrow afternoon...will keep you posted!

Alri cheers man

Hey blindside there's going to be huge swell on Saturday in Dublin and Wicklow is that comming from the noth or south, my local break faces towards the north so I'm hopen for some waves icon10.gif? And what were the waves like over the weekend heard they were pretty **** 1 foot...?

Hey blindside there's going to be huge swell on Saturday in Dublin and Wicklow is that comming from the noth or south, my local break faces towards the north so I'm hopen for some waves icon10.gif? And what were the waves like over the weekend heard they were pretty **** 1 foot...?

Hey man, today is lake like...wasn't expecting much anyway tbh! Sposed to pick up tomorrow will keep ya's posted.

http://magicseaweed.com/Dublin-Area-Surf-Report/694/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 stage01

Is there anywhere to rent a wetsuit and board in dublin??

Advertisement