Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SteviePitt

Lads , Do you think there's any hope for surfing in Dublin/Wicklow this Sunday, magic seaweed says 12 foot swell which is pretty big for Dublin.
    But theres a 26 mph onshore wind and it going to be 6 feken degrees.Am I just being very hopeful or are you lads going to go out and chance it?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

Hey man...Haven't been down in Wicklow since Tuesday and it was only just starting to pick up a bit. Wouldn't say it will be 12 foot but could be decent enough! I'm heading West this wknd anyway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SteviePitt

Yeh once in a blue moon it would be 12 foot. I was saying 12 foot swell..
    I'm heading up to achill island, keel beach on wednesday where you headen west coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

SteviePitt wrote: »
    Lads , Do you think there's any hope for surfing in Dublin/Wicklow this Sunday, magic seaweed says 12 foot swell which is pretty big for Dublin.
    But theres a 26 mph onshore wind and it going to be 6 feken degrees.Am I just being very hopeful or are you lads going to go out and chance it?

I was out this morning, it was really clean, fairly small but good craic. Lovely morning. I keep an eye on wind direction over the past 24 hours on the Dun Laoghaire Harbour website. If it's been anything from SW->S->SE for an extended period, there's usually waves at low tide

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Buffalosoldier

I was there today. 1-2 foot waves, nice and cleanish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Great news. I was supposed to get into water tomorrow in the morning, but work it is. Maybe on Saturday morning. I hope.

I was there in the morning bigger but very messy

Saturday might be better

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

The radio just told me that they are expecting winds of up to 100k this weekend. Magicseaweed doesnt say a thing about this but all along seafront they have the sandbags in place.
    What I want to know if all this means that there will be surf in Dublin this weekend?
    Anywhere in particular?

There is a big front coming but more likely it will hit us on Monday so we should get some waves after that.

Have a look at wind forecast at MSW, looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tinerua

Been watching this storm thats meant to hit us Sunday evening on MSW as well. I'm just back from a surfing trip in Mayo last week and am dying to get back in the water to do some bodyboarding. I haven't been to Maghermore, and I know it's meant to be good for the East, but it's a bit of a distance from me. If this storm produces any good waves, which beach would be best to go to out of Portmarnock, Donabate or Skerries?

Any thoughts? Or are they all pretty much the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

I hear there's waves today in the dublin area, anyone out near the coast that can confirm?

I'm going to bail out of work at 3 and have a look, hopefully get an hour in before it gets dark

was out at donabate at 11:30 (without my board :mad:) and there was definitly waves about. thought about grabbing board and heading out to rush and checking that out.
    its pretty messy and iv never surfed up around there so not sure where the best place to get in is

i surfed in rush a few weeks ago, was very messy but you could stand up and get a short ride in.

That's where I'm heading now.

I cant make it out but let us know what its like. have fun :cool:

Was out in Portmarnock today at around 10am. The sea was pretty wild (for the East anyway), and I caught a good few waves on my bodyboard. The wind was northerly and very very strong, so you were fighting against it quite a bit! I would have stayed in longer, but I didn't have a hood and the wind made my ears hurt after awhile.

Thursday is looking really good too. Another big swell only this time, the wind will be coming from the Southwest so it might not be so bitter cold.

Plan to be back out there again if I can find someone to look after the little one for an hour! Whoo-hoo!

Rush beach was mad yesterday, very messy when I got down. It was a struggle just to get to the sea as the wind was so strong.

2-3 foot waves in waist deep water, 5-6 foot further out, waves coming in from all angles for the first ½ hour. Then the tide was completely out and they broke much better and much cleaner, last ½ hour was a lot better. Then it started getting dark :(

Crazy longshore current dragging you down towards the rocks, really had to keep an eye on that.

Can't beat having the whole beach to yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 davidino

Hi guys !
    My name is Davide I'm from italy.
    I moved in Dublin to learn English and I began surfing 3 weeks ago.
    I saw the forecast for tomorrow (http://magicseaweed.com/Dublin-Area-Surf-Report/694/),
    Surfing anybody tomorrow ?

Yep I'm gonna head down at low tide 8am ish

Morf3h wrote: »
    Yep I'm gonna head down at low tide 8am ish

Where ?

Sorry meant to say White Rock, killiney (but not killeney beach)

• Advertisement

Is it a place for beginners too ?
    You go at 8 o'clock because you work or because you think that there are more swell ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

davidino wrote: »
    Is it a place for beginners too ?
    You go at 8 o'clock because you work or because you think that there are more swell ?
    Thanks
    It's not great for beginners, but it's good on a short boards or body board but it can be surf on a longboard, works best at low tide. You could look at the south end of bray.

Anyone out in rush today?

Was in Portmarnock again this morning and it was rubbish, but my timing was off. From the sounds of the wind outside, I should have gone around 3pm as opposed to the morning. Was hoping for a few miracle waves. How I wish I were in the West right now!!! :(

I was in Killiney at 3:30 pm and Bray at 4:30 pm : absolutely nothing.

I was in Killiney at 3:30 pm and Bray at 4:30 pm : absolutely nothing.

That's because the wind was W so any swell generated was heading towards
    Wales so the buoys showed something

http://www.marine.ie/CMSWeb/mi/FusionCharts/DatabuoyChartFiles/WindDirection_M2.html

The wind needs to be S SW SE,E,NE for swell on the east coast. S is best.
    M2 shows wave direction as well

http://www.marine.ie/CMSWeb/mi/FusionCharts/DatabuoyChartFiles/MeanDirection_M2.html

If you want to learn how to read the forcast look up LUD's FAQ

That's because the wind was W so any swell generated was heading towards
    Wales so the buoys showed something

http://www.marine.ie/CMSWeb/mi/FusionCharts/DatabuoyChartFiles/WindDirection_M2.html

The wind needs to be S SW SE,E,NE for swell on the east coast. S is best.
    M2 shows wave direction as well

http://www.marine.ie/CMSWeb/mi/FusionCharts/DatabuoyChartFiles/MeanDirection_M2.html

If you want to learn how to read the forcast look up LUD's FAQ

Ok thanks for all the informations, I'm going to read the LUD's FAQ tomorrows.
    You Told me that the sutherly wind is the best, so if the forecast saids:
    Strong wind from sud maybe on Tuesday there will be some wave in dublin coast.
    http://magicseaweed.com/Dublin-Area-Surf-Report/694/
    http://www.windguru.cz/it/index.php?sc=47767

Ok thanks for all the informations, I'm going to read the LUD's FAQ tomorrows.
    You Told me that the sutherly wind is the best, so if the forecast saids:
    Strong wind from sud maybe on Tuesday there will be some wave in dublin coast.
    http://magicseaweed.com/Dublin-Area-Surf-Report/694/
    http://www.windguru.cz/it/index.php?sc=47767

Yes but very strong winds so messy conditions in the after noon and watch the clock for darkness, Tuesday morning or wednesday moning might be better

PS Wam charts show Wednesday been best

Rtavn428.png

Yes but very strong winds so messy conditions in the after noon and watch the clock for darkness, Tuesday morning or wednesday moning might be better

PS Wam charts show Wednesday been best

Rtavn428.png

Sorry for my ignorance but what does Wam mean ?

Wednesday I'm going to be at Pormatnock about 10 oclock.
    If you have some suggestion I'm very happy to listen to you.
    Last question, what about tide ?.

Thanks for all.

• Advertisement

Advertisement