Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 davidino

If you go west Streedagh or Rossnowlagh look the most likely to have a sheltered wave but not sure if worth the risk if the snow comes....Bray and Portmarnock will be worth a look as long as the wind stays northerly so no harm in popping along to either...you'll have to be kitted out in the early morn dark for Killiney but should be decent, not worth your while though if still learning..Dumps fast and not much of a whitewash run so Bray or Prtmarnock if u get a board and wetsuit!

Thanks, I'm going to go to Brain or Portmanrock.
    I red that Bray is good during the midle tide but I didn't find anythinghs about Pormanrock.
    I stay in Dublin so It's no easy for me to decide where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stereo_mike

davidino wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm going to go to Brain or Portmanrock.
    I red that Bray is good during the midle tide but I didn't find anythinghs about Pormanrock.
    I stay in Dublin so It's no easy for me to decide where to go.
    Portmarnock can be very mushie. i find that the swell down in donabate is a little cleaner cause its less sheltered and more of a swell can get in.If you do go to donabate careful of the rocks down by the tower if you go 50 metres past that you should get a nice bit of surf on a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 davidino

Portmarnock can be very mushie. i find that the swell down in donabate is a little cleaner cause its less sheltered and more of a swell can get in.If you do go to donabate careful of the rocks down by the tower if you go 50 metres past that you should get a nice bit of surf on a good day.

I red your post too late !
    This morning at 9 o'clock I went in Portmanrock, the sea was very messy but there were few nice waves (remember that I'm a beginer). The next time I'm going to go to donabate, maybe next Tuesday.
    Thanks for the suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Rush was decent again on sat 27th.

Very messy as usual but grand to be able to get in for and hour, only 5 mins from home.

There were some great waves out there but the frequency was too much, very hard to get set up and positioned properly when they just keep coming so quickly - ended up missing most of the best ones..

though I did get one great wave which made it all worth while. I started off halfway up the beach, surfed this one all the way back down, practically ended up in the car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dublin Surf!

Portmarnock is a good enough place to surf. From November to January you can catch a wave or two :). Water is clean. We just got our blue flag ;).

Check this video out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CihmDua15t4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i didn't see any surfing in that video. Just a guy lying on a board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Portmarnock is a good enough place to surf. From November to January you can catch a wave or two :). Water is clean. We just got our blue flag ;).

Check this video out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CihmDua15t4

The waves are just closing out. Its shiitee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dublin Surf!

NickDrake wrote: »
    The waves are just closing out. Its shiitee

Yea. Well what do you expect from the east coast. Also in the video thats not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SteviePitt

Lads.. I'm definetly not going surfing in Dublin atleast untill march with the snow and all that. Heard the swell isn't too bad then and the weathers a toasty 9 degrees ! I'd like to know if any of you have surfed this time of year... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stereo_mike

SteviePitt wrote: »
    Lads.. I'm definetly not going surfing in Dublin atleast untill march with the snow and all that. Heard the swell isn't too bad then and the weathers a toasty 9 degrees ! I'd like to know if any of you have surfed this time of year... Thanks

I did a session up in bundoran last week. Was pretty cold but i wasn't wearing a hood. I'll go out whenever as long as there is a decent swell.might have a ore Christmas dinner session if there is any swell this weekend

• Advertisement

yeah Bundoran looks pretty good for Sunday http://magicseaweed.com/Bundoran-The-Peak-Surf-Report/50/ hopefully the weather will clear up some time soon :D

This Saturday looks good enough for Dublin area. 11 ft swell 54 mph wind... Portmarnock, Killiney, possibly Magheramore in Wicklow .
    Where do you think I should go. ( east coast )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 eiresurfer

Wicklow spots may well be working this weekend.

However, the charts suggest the swell may not wrap around enough, but these can often be slightly wrong - and possibly wrong enough to gamble on the trip down to have a look on saturday:

http://www.eiresurfer.com/noaawavewatchiii.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

Will be east coast waves all weekend from Wex to Louth...Sat will prob be too stormy unless u find ultimate shelter..if exposed dont waste your time, period and shape will be appalling poss not safe either...those in the know will know where to go down Wicklow way but prob best waves to be had tomoro avo and sunday morn!

Will be east coast waves all weekend from Wex to Louth...Sat will prob be too stormy unless u find ultimate shelter..if exposed dont waste your time, period and shape will be appalling poss not safe either...those in the know will know where to go down Wicklow way but prob best waves to be had tomoro avo and sunday morn!

I leterally live 2 miles away from Portmarnock beach and it's pretty sheltered .It's a 54 mph offshore wind too so im guessing they'll definetly be waves, what is the danger of surfing in an exposed area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

This Saturday looks good enough for Dublin area. 11 ft swell 54 mph wind... Portmarnock, Killiney, possibly Magheramore in Wicklow .
    Where do you think I should go. ( east coast )

I think you should stay in bed unless you want a trip to Wales.

Did you look at the wind direction and speed? Its offshore on the east coast. The only waves on the east coast this weekend are waves that'll be moving away from the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Wales are you saying? ;)
    Well, my few cents I put into a piggy bank every time I see RNLI boat on a counter still haven't paid for such trip. I'll pass again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I leterally live 2 miles away from Portmarnock beach and it's pretty sheltered .It's a 54 mph offshore wind too so im guessing they'll definetly be waves, what is the danger of surfing in an exposed area?

The danger is getting blow out to sea and not being able to get back in by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ThOnda wrote: »
    Wales are you saying? ;)
    Well, my few cents I put into a piggy bank every time I see RNLI boat on a counter still haven't paid for such trip. I'll pass again.

Hah, I always give money to the RNLI without fail too. Call me superstitious. I've had a couple of close calls.

Seriously though, people shouldn't go surfing in +50mph offshore winds. Terrible surfing conditions, not to mention the obvious safety factor.

Haha thanks lads you might have saved my bacon if I had gone out. :o

• Advertisement

Anthing in Dublin these days??

Saw about 2 foot and a few out in Kiliney there about a month back.

Dublins been pretty flat last couple of weeks.Big southernly swell coming in on Thursday though.

Anyone know of a spot in the southside to go for a paddle in the evenings and weekends?? I.e no waves but to try and keep fit for trips to the west.

I was looking at Coliemore . Is it safe to go for a paddle to the around the island there??

Any other spots??

NickDrake wrote: »
    Anyone know of a spot in the southside to go for a paddle in the evenings and weekends?? I.e no waves but to try and keep fit for trips to the west.

I was looking at Coliemore . Is it safe to go for a paddle to the around the island there??

Any other spots??
    The current horses through Dalkey sound I wouldn't. What about Bray or Killiney Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

The current horses through Dalkey sound I wouldn't. What about Bray or Killiney Bay

Never been to Killiney Bay, always meaning to check it out, is vico road the best place for parking? Then down the steps to the beach?

stevire wrote: »
    Never been to Killiney Bay, always meaning to check it out, is vico road the best place for parking? Then down the steps to the beach?

Or down by the dart station.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

Dublins been pretty flat last couple of weeks.Big southernly swell coming in on Thursday though.

No there isn't.
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Always wanted to paddle accross to the island and a hot summers day, just wait for a really calm balmy day:D

Used to do paddle from Killiney Dark station to white rock and back every thursday in the summer, got super paddle fit:D

rodento wrote: »
    Always wanted to paddle accross to the island and a hot summers day, just wait for a really calm balmy day:D

Used to do paddle from Killiney Dark station to white rock and back every thursday in the summer, got super paddle fit:D

Thanks lads. Reckon I will head down to Killiney bay so for a paddle. Pretty safe there ya??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

As long as you want to paddle parallel to the coastline and not straight out to sea...

Advertisement