Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

rodento wrote: »
    As long as you want to paddle parallel to the coastline and not straight out to sea...

Ha ha ya I wil do that. Many people do lenghts down there etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Thight wad pay the ferry man a tenner
    Always wanted to paddle accross to the island and a hot summers day, just wait for a really calm balmy day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Some guys are also running paddle board races from sandycove one day a week. Damned good way of keeping fit.

As for paying the ferryman, seems to much like cheating when people swim it every year:eek:

Some guys are also running paddle board races from sandycove one day a week. Damned good way of keeping fit.

As for paying the ferryman, seems to much like cheating when people swim it every year:eek:
    Was out there this summer and went for a swim all was well till 3 or 4 big seals showed up they aint so cute close up

Hope you weren't wearing a wetsuit, those seals are confused you know....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SteviePitt

No there isn't.
    :confused::confused::confused:
    According to magic seaweed on Tuesday there was. Changed now though.
    Has anyone here surfed Killiney beach, I've been meaning to go down but I always find myself going to Portmarnock since its closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Sunday morning might be worth a shot around Dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

Be on it early, Wex or Wick be best...will be flat again by lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

I went down for a look there today, the swells the right direction for some good waves tomorrow. If it wasn't for the fcekin' rugby I'd be out there for low tide today! Tomorrow's tides are 5am or 5.20pm I might try the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

good for a sup session but No power in waves for a soul session

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    good for a sup session but No power in waves for a soul session
    Did you go to Killiney, White Rock ?

This Thursday and Friday look pretty for Dublin areas?

Very strong offshore winds will probably kill the swell and make it one big choppy mess! Unless the wind dies off I wouldn't personally recommend it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

stevire wrote: »
    Very strong offshore winds will probably kill the swell and make it one big choppy mess! Unless the wind dies off I wouldn't personally recommend it...

Killiney will probably be shelter though??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 General.Tee

Can anyone tell me when Dublin actually works? Can see on MS that it has one star on thursday but a 'breaking wave estimate' of o foot. Am i just to look out for a south swell or what other conditions does it work with?

With regard to Killiney beach and there are waves is it better at high or low tide???

will it be working late this week??

It's mostly wind swell generated by a SE, S, SW wind. You need it to blow hard for about 12 hours then for the wind to drop or switch to W.

You also get swell if you have an east wind for a few days and sometimes on a north wind.

The very odd time, mostly in Jan and Feb you get a big long period swell hitting the west coast and you get some wrap around swell comming up the irish sea but it needs to be big on the west coast with some south in the swell.

Don't mind MSW for fore casts google how to forecast surf and learn how to do it properly. Look up lud's FAQ

Sowould this Friday or Saturday work or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

SteviePitt wrote: »
    Sowould this Friday or Saturday work or not?

Short answer yes with an if, long answer no with a but.

Thanks for the helpfull answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

I like the look of the forecasts, heading to maheramore/brittas on friday. i will report back, might even post photos if theres anything worth photographing!

• Advertisement

Drove by White Rock this evening and it's like a lake, not much happening there!

Only happens once in a blue moon, tis why we head west all the time

Only happens once in a blue moon, tis why we head west all the time

Yea it was more hope than expectation, thought there might have been some small swell after the wind died down yesterday eve! Would be nice to get out before the weekend...

Went to have a look this evening in Portmarnock. Completely blown out and unsurfable.

murdog! wrote: »
    I like the look of the forecasts, heading to maheramore/brittas on friday. i will report back, might even post photos if theres anything worth photographing!

Did ya head out to brittas afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

stevire wrote: »
    Did ya head out to brittas afterwards?

Ye went out on brittas beach, complete slop, 4-5 footers coming from 3 directions every 3 seconds, caught about 5 very short rides in 2 hours. Still good fun just getting out there, tough work in the wind tho. Heading back on monday, should be smaller waves but might have some sort of pattern to them.

I met some people at the end of the maheramore lane who said conditions were the same there.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭breadmond

A bit of an alternative here for the dead flat days if you can deal with a 30min or so paddle out

http://vimeo.com/21430914

Buoys reporting 4.4m wave height in Irish Sea... Northern swell knocking about! Hoping to get in tomorrow evening for a session. Is Bray the best option on a notherly swell?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

Bray most the tides or Killiney on the low which should be way better

• Advertisement

Bray most the tides or Killiney on the low which should be way better

You mad, 30 to 40 knt winds and massive swell, conditions will be crazy

Advertisement