Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ratticus

Very big but messy waves in Greystones right now, wish I could get away from work for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Bray most the tides or Killiney on the low which should be way better

Can't wait to see you out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Love to watch myself, view from local harbour :D

post-1-1333533936.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Might still be worth a shot on low tide, wind is due to die down a bit too.

white040412.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stereo_mike

Anyone had a look at the conditions in the last hour or so?
    tempted to split out of the office and do something far more productive.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Few waves around the east coast today. Wind due to die off a bit too in the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 44 darragh97

windguru reading up to 5 meter swell on wed- thursday..... 30 knot wind, worth a look??

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Would Donabate/Brittas be worth a look over the coming few days? Looks like a bit of a swell coming in and the wind is to die down at periods

I think Thursday/Friday are better times to go. Wednesday looks a bit nuts with the rainfall amount due aswell.... More detailed weather stuff here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056724475

Schweet am going to take a couple of early days on Thur/Fri to try get a few hours in the water...
    Where would be the most accessible area around Dublin (Coming from the docklands)?

• Advertisement

If you don't know what your doing or unsure of the break you plan to surf I'd keep well clear of the water. 40knt easterly winds on Wednesday and a 4.5 m swell passing up the Irish sea on Thursday means it'll be crazy mad conditions

Brittas Bay probably the safest surfable beach on the East coast. Go in near the surf school, maybe drop in to the school and ask advice first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I heard there's some beaches in Wicklow which are.good when a huge swell gathers in the Irish Sea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

Is white rock working today anyone know?

Might pop over this evening

Is white rock working today anyone know?

Might pop over this evening

It wasn't last night with the tide in, Loads of swell but it was a high tide mess with nothing resembling a surfable wave. Heading down towards Wicklow in 30 mins so hoping somewhere is working

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Schweet am going to take a couple of early days on Thur/Fri to try get a few hours in the water...
    Where would be the most accessible area around Dublin (Coming from the docklands)?

leave work at 1, be in the water in sligo for 3.30. you'll get better waves and come back with a dirty smile on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 No good names left

Having check the two on the same day many many times, MM is guaranteed to have a better wave than Whiterock on any given day, and it's only 30min down the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I know that it is a bit long shot, but would be Saturday really worth getting into the water in Dublin area, or south from Dublin?

No and MM isn't 30 drive from WR

• Advertisement

ThOnda wrote: »
    I know that it is a bit long shot, but would be Saturday really worth getting into the water in Dublin area, or south from Dublin?

Forecast is too unpredictable for east coast, swell has dropped from predicted 11ft yesterday to 4ft this morning. Keep an eye on the probability as well as swell when looking at forecasts for east coast. At the moment it would not be worth it.

for good swell forecasting on the East Coast:

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

If the M2 buoy is over 2m height then Maghermore and Brittas will have waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 No good names left

It is the way I go Rodento. Maybe 40min from WR proper, but from Dun Laoghaire area I do it in a consistent 30-35min, and it's usually worth the extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 delgo_84

Whats the best tide to surf in MM?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 agreenyblue

I've never noticed the tide at Mm to influence the waves. More sand at low-tide, looks lovely.

Swung by Killiney this morning at low tide, bit of swell but nothing breaking. Hard to judge these days with wave height missing from the buoy reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

stevire wrote: »
    Swung by Killiney this morning at low tide, bit of swell but nothing breaking. Hard to judge these days with wave height missing from the buoy reports.

For the East Coast it's all about getting there before or very shortly after the wind dies. Yesterday morning could have been good.

Anyone know if Killiney is working today?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

Anyone know if Killiney is working today?
    was there earlier, was fairly flat. Forecast for Strandhill is very good for this evening. Should have gone there for the weekend. Bit chilly for camping yet though, and anyway no money for a good weekend away at the moment. aw well.

• Advertisement

Looks like a decent northerly swell coming in Thurs/Fri. Apart from Bray, anywhere else that works on northerly's? Might wrap around MM?

Advertisement