Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver price reduction (well kept secret!)

Options
  • 23-10-2006 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

I have just noticed n my Clicksilver account page there is an option on the left 'New Services'
    Included in here are:

New Clicksilver One 18.49
    New Clicksilver 2MB 22.99
    New Clicksilver Plus 3MB 36.49

I can select any of these on condition I accept the new terms and conditions
    and agree to move to a new contract (6 months?). If I am not bothered by
    the contract terms can I just change from my current Clicksilver 2MB (29.99)
    to the New Clicksilver 2MB (22.99) and save 7 euro a month, or move up to
    the new Clicksilver 3MB for 6.50 a month, with bigger cap and lower
    contention.
    Unless the contract is very restrictive this seems like a no brainer. Am I
    missing something?
    If eircom increase speeds again like they did last January will the
    Clicksilver speeds also go up automatically without a new contract to sign
    up to.

Any Clicksilver people availed of these switchovers? When did these reductions come into force and why would UTV not think of telling us about them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its as straightforward as it appears, there is another thread about this a few pages back! :) Why they have been so quiet is another matter - you'd nearly think they don't care.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I used to be a UTV customer. Before I left I also had an option to avail of a reduced price. I didn't like the way they made you sign up for another full contract to pay the correct price. In my case it would have meant 12 months extra. I payed the extra for a few months and then left. I can't remember if they sent out a notification e-mail or not (I think I might have gotten one).

The Eircom speed increases last January were 'wholesale' increases and as such have to be passed on to the customer as they are just reselling the product. No new contract should be involved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I used to be a UTV customer. Before I left I also had an option to avail of a reduced price. I didn't like the way they made you sign up for another full contract to pay the correct price. In my case it would have meant 12 months extra. I payed the extra for a few months and then left. I can't remember if they sent out a notification e-mail or not (I think I might have gotten one).

The Eircom speed increases last January were 'wholesale' increases and as such have to be passed on to the customer as they are just reselling the product.

No new contract should be involved.

I agree totally and I have made this point constantly since UTV began this cute hoorism. AFAIK there is no other isp that behaves this way. It is bad enough that you have to sign up for a new contract to avail of the new prices but I am sure there are lots of people who dont keep with developments and keep paying UTV the old price. So much for customer service!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

dub45 wrote:
    I agree totally and I have made this point constantly since UTV began this cute hoorism. AFAIK there is no other isp that behaves this way. It is bad enough that you have to sign up for a new contract to avail of the new prices but I am sure there are lots of people who dont keep with developments and keep paying UTV the old price. So much for customer service!!!!!!!!!!!
    Perhaps you'd all prefer to pay an extra euro or two every month, and then get automatic changes when they occur?

UTV have always been aggressive on their Broadband prices. Part of the price you pay for those low prices is a "minimum period" contract. If you don't ike it, get your broadband from any of the many providers who'll charge you more for your service, and give your "free upgrades".

Foxwood wrote:
    Perhaps you'd all prefer to pay an extra euro or two every month, and then get automatic changes when they occur?

Why shouldn't customers get the new prices automatically? And why should it take an extra amount to get lower charges?

The best way to hold on to customer is to give them good service not keep dragging them into new contracts.

I am sure if wholesale prices went up UTV would be very quick to inform customers and pass on the increases.

I think if is very bad faith not to pass on decreases automatically to customers.
    UTV have always been aggressive on their Broadband prices. Part of the price you pay for those low prices is a "minimum period" contract. If you don't ike it, get your broadband from any of the many providers who'll charge you more for your service, and give your "free upgrades".

Yes but many customers will have long since served their minimum contract periods so why shouldnt they be adjusted automatically to the new prices? It means that the customer who is not up to date with pricing is being hoodwinked by UTV into paying extra that he or she need not pay as apparently UTV have not notified customers of the options available to them.

And how aggressive is it on UTV's part to leave existing customers paying the same rates as Eircom for 2Mb bb?

I can only imagine the outcry on Boards if Eircom required customers to commit to a further contract to avail of reduced prices or indeed charged a departure fee as UTV do even where customers have completed their minimum contract periods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 abcd

The older thread on this is here.

As far as I can see, there are no speed increases here, just a price drop.
    Does anyone know if Eircom has or is planning to drop its wholesale prices, or is UTV doing this on its own initiative?

abcd wrote:
    The older thread on this is here.

As far as I can see, there are no speed increases here, just a price drop.
    Does anyone know if Eircom has or is planning to drop its wholesale prices, or is UTV doing this on its own initiative?

Eircom have dropped their wholesale prices effective beginning of October afaik.

Advertisement