Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE 5.5 on win 98

• 23-10-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I have a laptop here with windows 98 , it needs to stay using windows 98 due to a certain piece of software that won't run on NT / 2000 .

I bought a wireless card but the software for it will not run as it requires IE 5.5 or higher, (lovely, I know it's partly because it was Monday morning today and the software was as hanging as I )

Is there anyway of downloading the full install (discontinued by MSC) still on the net, or am I going to have to drag it kicking and screaming onto the work network by borrowing someones pcmcia nic?

Thanks
    Fionn

"Marge.... I think he's looking for a link ..!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Going for the obvious work around: Explore the contents of the disc and see if there's an setup.exe that doesn't require fancy-pants installations?

Failing that: as above. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Windows 98 should allow windows updates to run, allowing you to get IE6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

thanks for the replies everyone

Peteer: I had tried that hpcfactor website already and it needs a network connection to run

Karoma : yeah had done that also (first option I tried)

astrofool : I don't have a network connection at the mo , wasn't an option.

ntbell : we'll looks like we have a winner folks, thats a pint I owe ya at the next boards beers. Good work fella

Sound,
    Fionn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

astrofool wrote:
    Windows 98 should allow windows updates to run, allowing you to get IE6

Nope discontinued afaik, you can get unofficial service packs on the net somewhere I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

my gf has a windows 98 computer with ie6 on it.....i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Ruu wrote:
    Nope discontinued afaik, you can get unofficial service packs on the net somewhere I believe.
    Windows updates still works. They're just really old updates.
    (I had the misfortune of helping someone patch their machine a few weeks back. IE6 SP1 was an update.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I have the full installers for IE 5.5 and IE6 for windows 98 on a fileserver here. If you need me to host them somewhere for download, drop me a PM.

Advertisement