Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow NTL broadband on a 6mb connection?

Options
  • 23-10-2006 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've registered for 6mb NTL broadband. However, I've run a speedtest which suggests that they've only set me up with 1mb speed. I've run a test on http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/speedtest50.html that returned a line speed of 1243.9 Kbps. Surely it should be higher than this? I understand that with a 6mb connection I may not get 6000kbps but surely I should get more than 1243.9 Kbps? Any help appreciated.

Edit: I checked on http://www.irishisptest.com and returned a download speed of 1.19 mbps and 218 kbps. This doesn't look like a 6mb connection to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Is your pc connected directly to the modem or are you using the crappy wireless router that they give away?

try downloading a few large files from heanet to give a more realistic idea of the speed you're getting

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Try the speed at different times of the day- NTL are reknowned for having totally crabby contention ratios....... (i.e. you have a theoretical 6Mb connection- however you may be sharing this with a large group of other connections. When other people in your neighbourhood are online, your connection speed with slow noticeably, when they are offline- presto your 6mb connection.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

tman wrote:
    Is your pc connected directly to the modem or are you using the crappy wireless router that they give away?

try downloading a few large files from heanet to give a more realistic idea of the speed you're getting
    I'm using the cable modem that came supplied with NTL broadband, but it's connected to a Belkin wireless cable router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

just got ntl installed today , the 6 meg package and around 5 meg was the top result i got , mostly it's around a 2 meg download speed but when i download from heanet i get around 360 kbs on the download and i got a download today at 700kbs.

the upload is always around 500 kbs which is great ,but it's still early days .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To get the top speed you always need to start 2 or 3 downloads at the same time. Try downloading 2 or 3 iso's from heanet is a good test.

BTW Cancel the downloads after a few minutes if you don't actually wnt them as NTL does enforce the cap :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement