Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Shotgun

Options
  • 23-10-2006 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi all,
    I shoot .22 with my club but am about to buy a first shotgun. Im not big into shotguns but i dont want to be missing out on a lot a crack i.e. club shooting rights and clay competitions because i dont shoot shotgun. anyway i can spend about €1200 for an all-rounder shotgun any recommendations. was thinkin of a lanber o/u or a baretta semi,
    also i would be greatfull if someone could tell me if its true that some grounds wont let you compete/shoot clays with a semiautomatic. cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

welcome to the world of shotguns,

There is absolutely no grounds in this country that disallows any semis for competive shooting, once you adhere to the ruling of only loading two shells into your gun at any one time.
    Semis are a great all rounder tool, possibly a little more recommended towards the more experienced shooter, yet if you are taught the right way from the start , there is no reason why they cannot be a good starter gun also.
    Why not get to a shooting grounds and try before you buy.
    What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

chopper's dead right,the oul shotgun really needs to be fitted to suit you,a semi is good craic when it comes to rough shooting and a lot less sore on th shoulder after a 100 bird clay shoot bit unless you are experienced around them id suggest an over and under as you said a lamber or a betinsolli in sporter rather than a game reason they are a little bit heavier and can take a little more recoil out of the shot,ps invest in a few euros on a couple of lessons it will pay in the long run ive been shooting shotgun for the last 20 years shooting clays and hunting and i still get a cpl of pointers each year to keep my eye in check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 baskingkat

Great value on Akkar semi-automatics at the moment - €650

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

baskingkat wrote:
    Great value on Akkar semi-automatics at the moment - €650

whats an akkar ,ive never heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

My money's on a Turkish semi auto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 baskingkat

Yep, that and the price is as much as I know, Civ.
    I'm tempted to buy one but cautious as I have heard little about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

baskingkat wrote:
    Yep, that and the price is as much as I know, Civ.
    I'm tempted to buy one but cautious as I have heard little about them.

''Buy cheap and you will buy twice''.

Buy them at your own peril boys.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

benelli or beretta semi all the way. Best guns i've ever fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Chopperdog wrote:
    welcome to the world of shotguns,

There is absolutely no grounds in this country that disallows any semis for competive shooting, once you adhere to the ruling of only loading two shells into your gun at any one time.

Ballyjamesduff didnt let one of our lads shoot with his:confused:

Ballyjamesduff didnt let one of our lads shoot with his:confused:

what was their reason??

• Advertisement

Told him they didnt allow semi's:confused: Said he could shoot with a club gun, he didnt bother

I don't blame him.

Was it a safety issue due to it being easier to see a broken shotgun than an open bolt.

or did they think he'd fire more than two cartridges

Just said they werent allowed. Whilst I can understand peoples safety concerns an open bolt and breach flag are perfectly fine. Personally I think there is a fair amount of snobbery about shotguns by some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Personally I think there is a fair amount of snobbery about shotguns by some people
    I had an opportunity to buy one of these a few years ago-
    spas12yx1.jpg
    http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh14-e.htm

Would have been licenced as a Franchi, Semi-Automatic, 12 Gauge.

Ever since, I've occasionally been kind of regretting not buying it, if only for the entertainment of producing it at a 'snooty' shotgun event. :D

Personally I think there is a fair amount of snobbery about shotguns by some people

fully agree

Rovi wrote:
    I had an opportunity to buy one of these a few years ago-
    spas12yx1.jpg
    http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh14-e.htm

Would have been licenced as a Franchi, Semi-Automatic, 12 Gauge.

Ever since, I've occasionally been kind of regretting not buying it, if only for the entertainment of producing it at a 'snooty' shotgun event. :D

:D Ah yes, the facial expressions would be priceless:D Think it's a bennelli with an extended mag that he has actually.

Might be an idea for a pole, who dislikes semi's/pumps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

I had one of those (SPAS 12) Special Purpose Automatic Shotgun. Great to look at but way too heavy and cumbersome to use. The folding stock is great though as you can hook it around your arm and shoot one handed. The chokes are removable and make the barrel a lot shorter. I sold it on fairly quickly. Never regretted it either. I think they belong in films only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

I'm also looking at getting my first shotgun, and was thinking of a Lanber 2097 with 30" barrels for clay shoots. I've been using one of these for the past few weeks (it's a club gun) and it really seems to suit me well. Anyone have any reservations about buying one of these? I hear they're far superior to the Turkish equivalent, but I'd like to hear from any owners about any quality problems or after sales service issues. Have to say, I don't like the red plastic sight, but it doesn't seem to be affecting my aim in a bad way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

packas wrote:
    I had one of those (SPAS 12) Special Purpose Automatic Shotgun. Great to look at but way too heavy and cumbersome to use. The folding stock is great though as you can hook it around your arm and shoot one handed. The chokes are removable and make the barrel a lot shorter. I sold it on fairly quickly. Never regretted it either. I think they belong in films only

Never a truer word said there.I was in your position as well.Fell in love with the looks of it.Got to try one for a day,and handed it back well relived and wiser that I hadnt forked out huge money for it too. So you tried "the Terminator "style of shooting a SPAS as well???[single handed].Bet you can see now why somone like Schwarzenegger was chosen for that role?:D You need his arms to hold the damn thing like that and fire it as well.:eek:

Oh yes! we are still snobby about those Infernal American semi pump action thingies here in Ireland,not as bad as the UK mind.Where in some places showing up with an OU brands you as a CAD:rolleyes:
    Best one for head turners,I have is a Remington 1100 with 24in barrel ,five shot extn magazine,choate pistol gripped FN stock and forend.Bog std for practical shotgun,but a great head turner at flapper shoots.Or my Mossberg 500 pump with folding stock 24in slug barrel and heat shield.

If I could get an AR15 here ,even a 22lr.There is a conversion kit called Double Trouble.It allows you to sling a rem870 or Mossberg 500 pump action under it with the shotgun buttstock removed.Ideally a 14 in barrel would be required,but we would make do with 24ins. THAT should get you noticed at the clay shoot.:eek:
    Be nifty for rabbits as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Be nifty for rabbits as well.
    To be fair CG, I can only think of one or two rabbits you'd need a yoke like that for :D

cat-wererabbit.jpg

HolyGrail180.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Exactly those!!!If the holy hand grenade of Antioch should fail.:D :D:D

Advertisement