Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab or Volvo

Options
  • 24-10-2006 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Which would you pick and why: Volvo v40 or Saab 93.

Both base models, petrol or diesel, maybe year or two old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

saab as volvo depricates ALOT.my dad has a volvo s80 and is thinking of buying the new s80 but wonot go near it now as it loses alot of money.
    id say go for saab or something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

yes both lose serious value, cant understand it as both are qualty motors any suggestions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yes both lose serious value, cant understand it as both are qualty motors any suggestions ?
    they are nice cars, i have driven both branded cars but i wouldnot say they are the best.there are many better options on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Neither. Sorry, I know you didn't give 'neither' as an option, but it has to be said. If you are stuck on these cars, I would go with the Saab. Purely because I have had a Volvo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The Volvo's generally have a better spec level than the equivalently priced Saab, but are smaller.

The V40 was discontinued in 2004 and replaced by the V50. At the end of it's life the V40 was loaded with everything in either an SE or Sport spec. If you are looking at the new V50, get an SE model - don't bother with the S.

In my opinion a Volvo estate will hold it's value better than a Saab saloon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Do you prefer the Mitsubishi Carisma or Opel Vectra?

I'd rather go with a higher specced/more powerful car from a less pretentious and more reliable manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1996 - 2004 Volvo S40/V40 were based on the Mitsubishi Carisma, they used a combination of Mitsubishi and Renault engines. From 2004 the S40/V50 is based on the Ford Focus. The S40 is being marketed as a bigger more exclusive car than what it is based on. This has worked for the S40 when bought new but it doesn't really have the same effect when it comes to trade in time.

From 2002 the Saab 9-3 has been based on the Opel Vectra as General Motors own Saab. Alot of traditional Saab owners (including my boss) will not touch Saab anymore. GM have totally disolved Saab's unique heritage and replaced it with GM clones. Just look what they did to the 9-5. Saab now are just another branch on the GM corporate tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

drdre wrote:
    saab as volvo depricates ALOT.my dad has a volvo s80 and is thinking of buying the new s80 but wonot go near it now as it loses alot of money.
    id say go for saab or something else
    S80's will depreciate a lot...

I would opt for the Volvo S40/V50 in 2.0d if you can get one (SE spec)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

i have a saab 9³, bought it second hand great price don't buy new...huge desperation.

but may be a little out of you price bracket reading some of your other posts.

I have driven several times with no road tax simply because I didnt have the money and before you say if I didnt have the money for tax I shouldnt be driving I needed the car for work.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005565

Advertisement