Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house in dublin

Options
  • 24-10-2006 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

hey all, im just wondering if anyone else is having serious problems renting a house in dublin, ive been looking for the past month for a house in the city centre, either rathmines, south circular road, and the same distance from the city on the north side ie, phibsborgh, stoney batter, drumcondra?
    myself and a friend have been looking for ages!!
    we are always meeting the same people at the same houses with the same problems!!
    its crazy, i have many friends whom every year rent new houses/apartment and have never had any problems except for this year. any reasons for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Had a mate who rented a house from Drumcondra only last week using this site.

http://www.homeowners.ie/lettings.php

Hope this helps.

EDIT:By any means,i am not connected to this site in any way shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

its crazy, i have many friends whom every year rent new houses/apartment and have never had any problems except for this year. any reasons for this?

It seems that property investors are selling up bigtime. The properties are off the rental market while they're on sale resulting in a shortage of properties to rent. Once they sell through to other, foolish, investors (or more likely fail to sell!), they'll be available to rent again. It's a symptom of the 'softening' of the property market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Try www.homelocators.ie i got my place through them. Everyone is using daft and the places go straight away. Just find a nice place in an estate agent, then advertise on daft for other flat mates if you need them, best way to do it really.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

We've been looking for a place to rent since mid-September and it's getting pretty annoying now, nearly everytime we turn up for our appointed viewing time we're told "Sorry it's gone".

Our standards have dropped from "under a grand, parking and decent looking place" to "under a grand and not a kip".

Beh, letting off steam a little. I just want a place to live, is that so much to ask? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Dear god this is ridiculous. I've been looking since september and still no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

we finally struck lucky on Thursday. The place we looked at and were covetting on Tuesday was offered to us and we lept at it.

It's in Ranelagh, just a short walk from the Beechwood luas stop and it's huge!

It's such a relief to have finally found a place and we really only got it through pure fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Renting in Dub is REALLY difficult this year...

We were lucky to get a place in Sept, but are thinking of moving again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Why not look at renting out further, somewhere along the DART line?

why is it always the really close ones? i think if you find a nice place within the m50 you should consider it - but maybe thats because im a dub?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

House hunting can be a very trying thing to do.
    I've been renting for a long time now and have plenty of experience in it.

All you can do is persist at it, there will be dumps out there for crazy money and there will be nice clean places out there for reasonable money.

My advice - turn up an hour early and ask everyone going in and out if they are the landlord and you got there early.
    Always have a full months deposit in cash with you - in my last three places the landlord had said to others that had viewed before me (on other days) that they would get back to them - I said I have cash and I'll take it right now..always works.

I moved into my current place in 2001 and it was a VERY depressing time to be looking for places, housing was far far cheaper than now and many many places for rent were pure slums. Must have viewed 20 -30 hell holes before I found this place and snapped it up, had almost to beg the landlord to take my cash - he had promised it to someone else but they were going to get back to him the next day or something..I had cash there and then and that was it in the end.

Persist, it's exhausting traipsing around the city looking at places, just keep at it and try and be first to any new viewing and always be ready to stake your claim if the place is nice.

Good luck!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement