Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden numbers?

• 24-10-2006 3:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

How would I go about buying an Irish golden mobile phone number like 087 1234567 for example?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

If you are going for bill pay, you can request a "golden" number, but to be honest the chances are you will find they are pretty much all gone.

If you are on pre-pay, you walk around to every shop that sell's sim cards, and ask to seee what numbers they have.

Alternatively, you could just get a "normal" number and learn it like everyone else does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

I also believe that the networks are "unwilling" or rather would prefer not to be issuing golden numbers out to single customers anymore, but rather reserve those privileges for large corporate enterprises nowadays.

No harm in calling the helpdesk of your preferred network and see what they say. They can only say "no".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Ok thanks guys, it's something I've always wondered about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

As I understand it networks do not "own" the numbers - ComReg do. Therefore they are not in a position to "sell" the numbers at a profit just because they are nice!

Your best bet is to go to a few stores & just see what they have in stock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you are a business customer, you should be able to get a reasonably good number upon request.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Thanks again. Do you think or know if it would break any rules in the adverts section if I put up a wanted ad for one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

BreadBoard wrote:
    Thanks again. Do you think or know if it would break any rules in the adverts section if I put up a wanted ad for one ?
    they are very hard to get as i tried for ages and then got them from here.but were expensive.nowadays you are looking at around 150-200 euro for one.which seem shigh but its once in a lifetime number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Tarakiwa wrote:
    As I understand it networks do not "own" the numbers - ComReg do. Therefore they are not in a position to "sell" the numbers at a profit just because they are nice!

Your best bet is to go to a few stores & just see what they have in stock!

Comreg allocate the numbers, So if they've allocated Vodafone, let's say, 087 x777777 then they can give it to you. But they can't just pick a number.

You'd need to contact an account manager and give them a good reason to give it to you. Like that you're going to have a large amount of numbers in your contract, or you spend a gigantic amount or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

I think networks tend to give out their golden numbers when they launch. I joined up to 3 a few days after they went live and got a really good number.

Im looking for a number wih loads of 7's in it.If someone can help me find one please send me a pm.Genuine pms only :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,485 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There 4 million phones, 43 million numbers(?) you can have any number you want is the range is allocated to that company.

You can probably get numbers like wxx yyzz easily enough.

A friend used to have 087 777 777, I htink it was.

Victor wrote:
    There 4 million phones, 43 million numbers(?) you can have any number you want is the range is allocated to that company.

You can probably get numbers like wxx yyzz easily enough.

A friend used to have 087 777 777, I htink it was.

Thanks victor thats the kind of number im looking for 087 777777. The only problem is getting in touch with the right person to guide me in the right direction or to get in touch with someone high up in 02 or vodafone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I think it's more trouble that it's worth. I know someone who had a great number, one of those 'that's not your number is it!?' ones, and he constantly got prank calls :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you can change your number to anything the network has available but no,you cant pick a number

krudler wrote:
    you can change your number to anything the network has available but no,you cant pick a number
    Thanks for the info, Anyone work here in o2 or vodafone that can check out what numbers are available.Then i can try transfer my existing sim card to that number.thanks in advance

Advertisement