Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derry-Shels clash Tues night

• 24-10-2006 6:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭

Massive game which could see the title as good as decided tonight if there's an away win.

The Reds are six points ahead with five games to play, Derry have six to play.

A Shels win would leave us nine points, with a far superior goal difference, ahead with Derry who only able to get at most fifteen more points.

Shels almost at full strength: http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=494

Derry have McHugh suspended after his red card in Friday night's scoreless home draw with Drogheda.

I'll be very happy leaving the Brandywell tonight with a draw even if we concede a last minute equaliser, but a win would give us a helluva lot of breathing space.

And I think we can do it!

C'mon the Reds!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A nice positive start to the morning, which is nice.

Fenlon has said that he isn't going looking for a draw, which is great news.

A win would start the wheels in motion for a league victory, and I booked my flights to Cork for the 10th November, and I hope we win the league down there.

I'd like to see Crowe and O'Neill start tonight, but I wonder who will go to Right Back. Dillon? O'Halloran? Baker (surely not)?

Come On Shels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd say it has to be O'Halloran at right back.

Biggest game of the season, bar none, its the definition of a six-pointer. I wouldn't be disappointed with a draw but a win would surely be a clincher for Shels.

SFC

I'm going to Derry \o/

Gwan Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Go on derry :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Can't see Shels grabbing all 3 points. They've won just once in the past 14 games against Derry and out of the 5 games this season(4 of which were at Tolka Park) theres been 3 draws and a victory each. Although in fairness even the most ardent Shels fan will admit Shels were lucky to draw 2-2 against 10 man Derry last time out. Derry win for Pighead although the draw is probably the most likely result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Shame its not on tv, shels fans could see it then :p

DFC

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

come on shels!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

0-0 approaching 30 mins gone -

link to matchzone on shels site

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/matchzone/matchzone.php?matchid=9210

1-0 Derry. Martyn with the goal.

And thats 2-0. McCourt with the 2nd. Job Done. Title Race BACK ON!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Brilliant. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Excellant , Derry one step closer to saving me some money(I had a bet wit a friend on who'd win the league , he picked Shels and I picked Cork :o )

Well, we were, quite simply, shat.

No fight from the players.

Credit to Derry for the win, they played well. Best back four in the country.

The league race is looking very good now, with both sides to play Cork City and Drogs.

I hope Derry beat Sligo in the Cup, to end their season.

Agh, I don't know what to type, I'm so disappointed with last night, more with our performance than the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

seansouth wrote:
    The league race is looking very good now, with both sides to play Cork City and Drogs.
    Forgetting something? :D

Pfft.

:D

It could be two more games against you lot if the league governing body ever gets it's finger out of it's hole and makes a decision on our three points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

seansouth wrote:
    I'm so disappointed with last night, more with our performance than the result.

Thats my feelings in a nutshell. I could have swallowed the defeat if the players showed some ounce of effort and commitment. I'd put my money elsewhere on the league, would not be surprised to see Shels capitulate. Obviously I hope otherwise, but having seen last nights display, I would not be surprised! :( The drive home after watchign that was unbearable!

Hopefully Bray can take something off Derry on Friday. If not, its all level, except for goal difference, with 4 games to go! Nervous (exciting!) times!!

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Hopefully Bray can take something off Derry on Friday. If not, its all level, except for goal difference, with 4 games to go! Nervous (exciting!) times!!
    Fact is, it could be dead level after that game, I can see nothing standing in the way of Derry sticking eight past a woeful Bray team, against who we were very lucky to escape from the Carlisle with maximum points.

Derry City will win this league if Shelbourne put in one more performance of the calibre they did last night, of that there is absolutely no doubt. Unfortunately I cannot see how the apathy in the Shels camp is going to be stamped out.

Jason Byrne seems to be on one of his Annual Sulks, Stuey Byrne is a shadow of his former self. Both of our right wingers have been headless chickens in recent games, Owen Heary is out for the rest of the season, and when Greg O'Halloran got lost in the Brandywell last night before the McCourt goal, the only option, in my mind, is to shove Dillon (who looked as nervous as a kitten last night) out to RB and stick Jamie Harris in with Hawkins. I shudder at that thought, re-shuffling a back four so much is bad at the best of times, but in a vital league run-in it will be suicide. Jason Byrne needs to be dropped, and O'Neill brought in beside Crowe, because balls are being supplied, and Crowe, while he does break his bollix to get to them, he just isn't fast enough, and at the moment Jason Byrne isn't looking like he's arsed. O'Neill actually gave a shiney shíte last night when he came on. Ollie Cahill had an off night last night, and when that happens, it usually stays that way for a while, if ever there was a confidence player, he is it. Who have I not slated? Oh yeah, Ndo - well nothing came off for him last night, but if the other players around him actually looked like they wanted anything to do with his attempts to unlock the defence, he might have fared better. Dave Rogers was decent last night, and has had a pretty decent second half of the season, imo. Jim Crawford would be a better partner for Joey than an off-form Stuey Byrne at this point, he add some steel that was very badly lacking last night, or even stick Greg in there with Joey. If Williams and Delaney could get together, just for one night, and produce an offspring with each others good traits, we'd have a decent keeper.

Fenlon. WTF was he thinking sticking Harris on up front, encouraging the long high ball against what is arguably the best defensive pairing in the league? Yeah, nice one Pat - we are NOT a Long Ball team, we don't have the players for it. WTF was he thinking taking our most creative player off the pitch, then sticking on a forward player who could actually get the ball from him and hold it up, in O'Neill? WTF was he doing playing Jason Byrne, who for one reason or another doesn't look arsed? Could be he's still recovering from an injury, in which case he shouldn't be in there.

I didn't intend this to be a rant, but once it started, it just wouldn't stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Thats my feelings in a nutshell. I could have swallowed the defeat if the players showed some ounce of effort and commitment. I'd put my money elsewhere on the league, would not be surprised to see Shels capitulate. Obviously I hope otherwise, but having seen last nights display, I would not be surprised! :( The drive home after watchign that was unbearable!

I love that. :rolleyes: It's the same mentality that was so obvious in Stuart Byrne's comments this morning. Basically, if we play well, you won't beat us, you'll only beat us when we play ****e. It's the same kind of stuff that all the Barcelona cheerleaders were coming out with last week. Since Stephen Kenny took over at Derry, Shels haven't beaten them in 9 meetings. When does the feeling begin to creep in that you can't just blame each result on a bad performance on the night?

Hopefully it's already too late now for the poison dwarf to realise that Byrne-Crowe doesn't work. Did he really expect Gary O'Neill to come on and score a hat-trick in the hardest place in the league to score?

Bateman wrote:
    the poison dwarf
    :rolleyes:

You know what, I usually respect your opinion on here, but come on, stooping as low as to resort to name calling is a bit silly isn't it?

I hope you get banned for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Bateman wrote:
    I love that. :rolleyes: It's the same mentality that was so obvious in Stuart Byrne's comments this morning. Basically, if we play well, you won't beat us, you'll only beat us when we play ****e.

Eh, thats not what he said at all. We've only beaten Derry once since Kenny took over, and that was with a very late winner in June. They're an awesome team. We didn't do ourselves justice last night or on a number of occasions against them recently, but they are a class side.
    Bateman wrote:
    When does the feeling begin to creep in that you can't just blame each result on a bad performance on the night?

And what are we supposed to say, exactly? Derry are a better side than us? Head-to-head they certainly have had the edge, but Shels are still top of the league and have a far better goal difference.

Bateman wrote:
    Hopefully it's already too late now for the poison dwarf to realise that Byrne-Crowe doesn't work. Did he really expect Gary O'Neill to come on and score a hat-trick in the hardest place in the league to score?

The poison dwarf that Bohs so desperately covet. So Crowe and Byrne doesn't work, bringing on O'Neill is clearly such a bad idea... what exactly should Fenlon be doing?

It is the hardest place to score in the league, and it is the hardest place in the league to get a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Bateman wrote:
    I love that. :rolleyes: It's the same mentality that was so obvious in Stuart Byrne's comments this morning. Basically, if we play well, you won't beat us, you'll only beat us when we play ****e. It's the same kind of stuff that all the Barcelona cheerleaders were coming out with last week. Since Stephen Kenny took over at Derry, Shels haven't beaten them in 9 meetings. When does the feeling begin to creep in that you can't just blame each result on a bad performance on the night?

Nothing to do with how they played that annoyed me, it was how they tried (or not) to play that did. Derry were far superior, and even if our players turned up last night we'd have been lucky to get away with a point I reckon. I don't get where you're getting this idea of some form of superiority complex about my club from, I don't think I alluded to anything of the sort. Merely stating that the effort put in by the players last night was unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    It is the hardest place to score in the league, and it is the hardest place in the league to get a result.

The hardest place in the league to get a result for visiting teams is Tolka (assuming it's a Premier Division match :D ).

Shels are unbeaten at home in the league since July 2005. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bubthatub

Sligo Rovers and Derry City will meet on Tuesday at the Brandywell (kick-off 9 pm) to decide who will go through to the final of the FAI Carlsberg Cup on December 3 to play St. Patrick’s Athletic

so there will be no shels v derry match

SRFC SLIGO ROVERS COME ON YOU REDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

bubthatub wrote:
    Sligo Rovers and Derry City will meet on Tuesday at the Brandywell (kick-off 9 pm) to decide who will go through to the final of the FAI Carlsberg Cup on December 3 to play St. Patrick’s Athletic

so there will be no shels v derry match

The Derry v Shels game was last Tuesday...............:confused:

Advertisement