Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone interested in inexpensive squid for bait?

Options
  • 24-10-2006 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

I bought some frozen calamaris there last week off of Tilly in Ringsend, it cost me 6 euro for a 1lb box of largeish whole squid. Because of this high price I decided to check the Oriental Emporium on Jervis St. to see if their price was any better.

Lo and behold they sell 5lb boxes of the exact same brand for 8 euro, or 1lb boxes of Surf King whole squid for €2.50, I thought it was a very good price and I know where I'll be getting my squid from in future.

Just thought I'd share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Nice one! Thaks for that!

Any chance of getting frozen/cheap mackerel somewhere in Dublin too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I haven't found cheap mackerel yet unfortunately.

I am determined to fill a chest freezer next season for bait, the only problem is I really like mackerel and had lots but eat a lot of them already.... ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Blub2k4 wrote:
    ...the only problem is I really like mackerel and had lots but eat a lot of them already...

Me too, nice oily fish! Problem is I might eat the squid too!!! Make some calamari or paella or something....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Murt10

There is a place called Caterworld, Unit 3, Nangor Road Business Park ,Nangor Road, Clondalkin. It's a huge wholesalers where the chinese shops and restaurants buy all their stock. It's open to the public although they don't accept cheques cards etc - cash only for private punters.

If you are into frozen fish this is the place for you. They have literally dozens of different types from all over the world. The only one I recognised was Conger.

If your into cooking as well, they have masses of other stuff that you would not be able to get elsewhere.

Well worth a visit

Murt

Advertisement