Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Micra won't go into gear.

Options
  • 24-10-2006 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

Its my missus' '94 1l Micra. It won't engage gear while running, but will go in if the engine is stopped. i have tried replacing the cable.

My mechanic will look at it if I can get it to him. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

overdriver wrote:
    Any ideas?
    Any gearbox oil in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Get the clutch checked - it sounds like the clutch is not disengaging correctly. This may indicate a problem with the pressure plate. I'd imagine you may need a new clutch kit installed. Best to get it checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

The speedo drive and pinion need to be removed to check the manual transmission fluid level. I don't want to add that to my list of jobs this morning, as I think crosstownk is correct.

Thing is, can I get it to my mechanic without towing it? Like could I limp it there? He's in Crumlin, and I'm in Firhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

This happend to me in my old car, well it sounds similar anyway I'm no expert, it was the pressure plate that was gone and i had to have a new clutch. I couldnt get the car moving I had to get a tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Its possible to start the car in gear - it not recommended and could prove dangerous if you don't know what your doing. You also run the risk of doing further damage as you 'crash' through the gears. Safest option is to have it towed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As the others have said - get it checked out. You should be able to get it from Firhouse to Crumlin without a tow. If the clutch is not disengaging fully the gears should go in alright if you stick it in neutral and rev match between gearchanges. You'd be better off driving there at an off peak time as getting stuck in traffic with a clutch problem could be a real pain. Be careful and plan what you're going to do especially when starting and stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Cool, lads, thanks.

The mechanic is moving workshops today, so he could probably do without me anyway. I'll get it there late tonight, and leave the key in the usual spot for him!

Advertisement