Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest time you can plant lawn seed?

Options
  • 24-10-2006 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

As title says, on my new house build the landscaping is only being completed now in the next week or so the question I have is ''is it too late to sow the lawn seed in the next few weeks''?

Until when will grass seed grow?

Do i need to leave my soil until next spring to sow? I am conscious that if I miss the grass growing season then by next spring I will have a meadow to deal with!

Any advise aprreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

bro' wrote:
    Until when will grass seed grow?
    AFAIK its growing at any time when the temperature is over 7°C, so you can plant now.

You might not see much growth until spring though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

bro' wrote:
    As title says, on my new house build the landscaping is only being completed now in the next week or so the question I have is ''is it too late to sow the lawn seed in the next few weeks''?
    I would say leave it. It will still germinate and grow if you sow now but will be too soft when the first frost hits.
    bro' wrote:
    Do i need to leave my soil until next spring to sow? I am conscious that if I miss the grass growing season then by next spring I will have a meadow to deal with!
    Theres as much an opportunity here as anything else. You should dig it through and let the elements break it down over the winter. Is it free draining or are there likely to be problems with drainage? Maybe you can take the opportunity now of putting in a few drainage channels (french drains) now and get the fundamentals right from the start.
    You shouldnt have 'a meadow to deal with' as such - some weeds yes but not out of control.
    Are you happy that theres sufficient topsoil or have the builders left more subsoil than topsoil as is usually the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

i sowed 3/4 acre about a month ago. quite slow to get going so i added more seed to the patchy bits that don't seem to be growing at all. i'd hold sowing at this late stage. march is then next time i think..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I would leave it until the end of March, nothing much grows from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

Thanks for the responses... I suppose i was hoping that I could still have a green lawn before the winter sets in :(

There is plenty of topsoil used as I had lots on my site and I saw the diggerman doing the job so hopefully ok on that front.

i guess best thing to do is look at drainage and leveling it out for the winter now and sowing next March.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

rotovate it. Should cost only 200 quid. and it's well worth it I got a guy who solely rotovates gardens - had all the gear. I was left with a perfectly level site all round and it's much easier to sow hedging or lay paving as the ground is loose down about 10-12 inches.

very handy indeed.. Again you migh be better to hold tight till march, rotovate, sow and sit back. :D

Advertisement