Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to Techseekers?

Options
  • 24-10-2006 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is not the right section.

I'd be curious to know what happened to techseekers.net. It has been down a good while, did Eric just decide to give it up or did something else happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

sorry but who?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

its still registered to an Eric
    Google has a cached copy taken on July 27th
    Archive.org goes up to 2005 for them - http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.techseekers.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

iirc, it was simply shut down a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Was closed down, seems to be some EVE online site now. I used to active enough, and heard not a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

Thats a pity. I really liked that site. My username was jomo. I got a lot of great advice on building my first PC from the techseeker forum a few months ago. Never had the chance to say thanks to the users who helped me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Nothing wrong with a bit of Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I don't know what happened it, it dissappeared in a matter of days.Something i found weird, considerign there was no warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Well i joined just to say what happened.

Just so people know i'm the guy named "Mark" from the site :)

Anyway... the reason techseekers went down is because of hackers.

Basically someone had some vendetta against techseekers and kept hacking it over and over again and Eric got sick of it. The major problem was that changes in newer versions of PHP (i think) would have broken the site if it was updated and thus would take a lot of work to redesign the site.

So after the second week of cleaning up the server daily after a hack Eric decided to just pull the plug. There were hopes to put the site back up again but we'd have to get enough people to badger Eric to put it back up :) . I don't know enough about websites to be able to get it up and running myself. I'd planned to learn but something always got in the way (I.E. laziness ...)

(BTW this is just my take on what happened after talking to Eric. I may be wrong on some points but this is the basic jist of it anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cheers for the update Mark, sorry to hear of Eric's woes. I was 'Strahlen'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Nice ta see ya again and nice to see that people actually miss the site. I miss it myself. Was my homepage since it started. Now it's just that kill board.

As i said to eric, he tainted it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd love to help with getting it back up, but I just have no time this year with Final year projects and so on. Yeah, was a quality site. I found it when looking up AGP spread spectrum, was the only site that explained it.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Oops, can't believe I missed this post. I'm the same Mad Mike who used to post on Techseekers. Great site - I miss it too. Appreciate all the efforts Eric and yourself put in while it lasted Mark.

PS: I quite playing WOW back in April so I have no idea how the old Bronzebeard guild is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Well if you ever want help in putting the site back up, i'd be glad to help!...it was indeed a "quality site"!

Advertisement