Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check your shopping Receipts

Options
  • 24-10-2006 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.
    I just warn to warn people to check their shopping receipts especially if your doing a big weekly shop.

Last week,I went to Tescos,Douglas,Cork,got overcharged 3 euros.
    This week went to Dunnes Douglas Court,was charged for 2 extra items,costing me nearly 5 euros.

They are not the only times either.
    Its happened other times before.

It's awkward to check your receipt on the spot,especially if its a large one,but i am going to have to.

Thanks for letting me have my say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭irishproduce

This has happened to me in the past too.
    I am always with the missus and she refuses to allow me to go back in and make a scene.
    It happens alot with the products that are on clearance as they may be heading for their best before date in a couple of days, the girls at the till somehow manage to miss the discounted barcode and you cant look until you are in the car!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Happened to me on a bottle of wine in M&S on sunday. Then if you want to get your refund you have to queue again. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't Tesco have some clause that if they mischarge you for an item, you get it free... i'm sure of it.

May not be an official statement but certainly happened me once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Yes Tesco have that but they don't really tell people.

I was in tesco reciently and only bought a product because it was on special offer, so I was looking out for the price as I was paying for it. It went at normal price and I mention this to the person at check out. I had to go to customer services and they checked it out, the deal expired that day but because they had the price still displayed they gave me a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cant see what this has to do with "Bargain Alerts"

Perhaps it could be moved to consumer issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Agreed muffler!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

what, people are not doing that automatically anyway?

I always check my receipts, and I make sure I cause a fuss over wrongly charged items (granted though, I do go back if the error was in my favour too - fair is fair!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I agree I check my receipt after every shop, especially at Tesco, (great and all as they are!) I notice 80-90% of people don't. I check before I leave the store that way if I've been short changed or if there's a scanning error I can rectify it on the spot. I find Tesco are the worst offenders for not giving the discounts on multi-buy and BOGOF items. (Although they do offer a lot of these types of promotions, so it could be that pro-rata they're not any worse than the other supermarkets.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Was overcharged in Lidl a few weeks ago by 30 euro! Turns out the checkout assistant had entered an incorrect code for something and I got charged for an ironing board! Thought my bill was a bit steep so checked the receipt while still in the shop and discovered the Ironing Board. Luckily I hadn't left the shop so it was easy to prove I hadn't an ironing board hidden about my person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

I always check my till receipt as I regularly notice errors on specials like '2 for €5' that sort of thing. Always used to happen on some kievs I bought in Tescos, and everytime I got them for free when I pointed it out. It's worth the few moments checking and queueing up again, they do put all the discounts down the bottom of the receipt so it's easy to do. They've always apologised and said they had problems with their coding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

We always check the till receipt before leaving Tesco. They make the odd mistake but have always fixed it with no argument. Best done before leaving the shop though.

I think that the full refund thing only operates where they have charged you a price that i differnt from the price displayed on the shelf.

If using the self service check out be sure that you get the right receipt ! Some of those checkouts spit out the receipts into a pile of receipts that other people leave behind so be sure to pick up the right one.

In another context NEVER leave a petrol station without a receipt. Not a problem if paying by card. However, if you pay cash be sure to get a receipt and take a mental note of the time you purchased.

Advertisement