Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some rig advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Your 19" CRT will offer arguable better quality than an LCD display, only some of the very best (read expensive) LCD displays come close to the quality of a good CRT in terms of colour reproduction and response time.

As for RAID 0 that will offer a performance boost, RAID 1 is for redundancy so both disk are clones of each other in case something bad happens to one. Personally I would go with a RAID 0 array and have a standalone HD for data backup just in case something happens.

Graphics choices are tricky at the moment if you want Crossfire support I would bite the bullet and get the Crossfire Master X1950XT edition, the non-Crossfire X1950 are more likely to come down in price I would think so you can pick one up later. If you are an ATI fan this may not appeal to you but NVIDIA's GeForce 8 series is launching a 3 weeks time they will be very powerful DX9 cards and have DX10 compatibility (DX9 will still be the dominant API for some time to come though) but will be very expensive.

As for something in the lower end that wont break the bank an X1950 Pro would be a good choice it is on par with a 7900GT and has a master-less version of Crossfire it works like SLI you only need two X1950 Pro cards & connect the ribbon cable provided with each card internally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Dakeyras wrote:

your motherboard has a lan card in it already

edit* id also recommend getting a 74 gb raptor as your games and windows drive and a 300 gb as storage instead of your 150 gb rapt

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

thanks for the advice 8T8, i think i'll bit the bullet and go with the crossfire master C1950XT edition but i'll have a look at the GeForce 8 series as well.

Psycopat, cheers, should have seen that. Will also prob go for the two drives as suggested.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nice rig m8 :D

Advertisement