Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Questions to ask a seller

Options
  • 24-10-2006 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for a list of good questions you should ask a seller about a used or new vehicle. Here are a few I was asked by Unkel before when I was trying to shift my used Micra. Any more would be appreciated:)

Mileage?

Ever in accident?

How long have you owned it and how many miles have you done?

Any dents, scratches?

Condition of tyres - thread depth, any other damage?

Condition of wheels, kerbed?

Condition of spare, ever used?

Does EVERYTHING in the car still work as per original (i.e. everything electrical, mechanical and other)?

Is there a CD or just radio/cassette player?

How about alarm, immobiliser, remote or not remote?

Electric or manual windows?

Sunroof?

Condition of seats.

Any technical imperfections to engine, transmission, other.

Any idea of your mpg?

Any abnormal exhaust fumes.

How long is current nct for?

Any fails or even fail/advisory on previous nct and what for?

Any service history, what Nissan dealer or other dealer.

Toolkit complete?

What's left if any on the tax disc?

Original Irish car or import?

Airbag(s)?

Power steering?

Have you the original spare key? Have you all original documentation (i.e. manual, etc)

Does the car stay on a straight line while driving when you take your hands of the wheel?

Does the car brake in a straight line when you take your hands of the wheel.

Any previous serious replacements or repairs (>€150) not including regular service / tyres?

How soon do you wish to sell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cormie wrote:
    a new vehicle.
    cormie - I presume you mean a used vehicle. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why are you selling it? (They could tell you to mind your own business but it's worth a try for the reaction. Genuine people will have no problem with the question).

Is the car registered in your name and if not, why not?(applicable to 'private' sellers only)

Are you a dealer posing as a private seller? (Dealers posing as private sellers tend get a bit jittery and evasive when you ask this)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

cormie - I presume you mean a used vehicle. ;)

changed to include both:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

cormie wrote:
    Does the car stay on a straight line while driving when you take your hands of the wheel?

Does the car brake in a straight line when you take your hands of the wheel.

do any cars do this? bit of a stupid question I think.... it all depends on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Why are you selling it? (They could tell you to mind your own business but it's worth a try for the reaction. Genuine people will have no problem with the question).

Is the car registered in your name and if not, why not?(applicable to 'private' sellers only)

Are you a dealer posing as a private seller? (Dealers posing as private sellers tend get a bit jittery and evasive when you ask this)
    The 2nd one here is the most important...only view it at the sellers residence if possible and make sure the documentation matches the address

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is there still a warranty?
    A lot of those questions I would rather find out for myself rather than just ask the seller and leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

kbannon wrote:
    Is there still a warranty?
    A lot of those questions I would rather find out for myself rather than just ask the seller and leave it at that.
    I'd rather know... "Does the warranty carry over to a new owner?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Lex Luthor wrote:
    The 2nd one here is the most important...only view it at the sellers residence if possible and make sure the documentation matches the address

Exactly, ask this question first, if the answer is no then no point in asking anything else abou tthe car, just walk away, too many bent cars out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As far as I know, under EU law, the manufacturer's warranty is transferrable.

Advertisement