Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping disorder and sleeping pills?

Options
  • 24-10-2006 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

quick question about sleeping pills:

I've been *conciously* sleepwalking for years now (basically I act out my dreams, my body does not shut down when sleeping, and I always remember that I sleepwalked and why I was doing what I was doing in my sleep (like re-arranging furniture, or packing bags because I dreamt I was going on holidays, that sort of thing). On top of that, I wake up every couple of hours - so my body never gets a decent rest. I've been extremely exhausted due to all that, and I went to my GP who prescribed sleeping pills (stilnox).

Well, they help me fall asleep - but they don't stop the sleep walking! I still wake up in the middle of the night, I'm still sleep walking, and I'm still very exhausted - is this normal? Does anyone know of sleeping pills that actually encourage or enforce deep sleep, so that my body can rest?

I'm going to see my GP again this week, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this, and maybe some advice or info for me!

Thanks a mil
    galah

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Do see your GP again. Your incidence of sleep walking would seem beyond the norm of those who do? Are you under a lot of stress? If so, is there anything you can do to reduce the root causes of your stress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 studentjourno

Part of the problem could be that sleepwalking is more likely to occur when you are in a very deep sleep. I've done some research on this and sleeping pills will put you to sleep but they wont stop the sleepwalking. You need to look at going to perhaps a psychologist to help you wind down or if you're really concerned go to a sleep clinic. The mater has the country's only speciliased sleep expert. Hope you get a good nights sleep soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

just a quick update - I talked to my GP, and he prescribed Anti-Depressants (Serotonin-Inhibitors) (not because I'm depressed, but to help reach the deep sleep phase) instead of sleeping pills. And they work! I am no longer sleep walking, and am finally able to wake up relaxed and refreshed!
    Break-through! ;-)

Advertisement